• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Distributor help

keep0njeepin0n

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I have searched but maybe I'm just not looking hard enough. At any rate, I am in the market for a new distributor (cardone reman at AutoZone to be exact). Everyone I've come across says the same thing: "without module"....what exactly does this mean? Are they referring to the cam sensor pickup? If so, all the pictures shows it comes with it. Even on other websites like Napa and carquest. At any rate, will I need to purchase said module, or can it be removed from my old dizzy.

Also, if somebody can refer me to a GOOD write up on a dizzy swap, I'd greatly appreciate it!

98 4.0 AW4 NP231

Edit: This is the one I am specifically looking at: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...n80u?counter=0&itemIdentifier=574875_0_10500_

Last edited:
that looks like the right one . i would reccomend getting this one cause it comes with the modulew <aka> pick-up then remove the old pick up from your dizzy and save it.. i have had these crack on me... i run a newer dizzy on my 91 <the same one you run>

So even though it says it comes without the module, it comes with it? I'm really confused, because every website shows it with it in the pics, but says it comes without it.....

they probably use a generic pic for all of them since its the same dizzy... but the pick-up by its self is 40 bucks so you choose how you wanna do it .. last time i spun a dizzy i just went to the junk yard and pulled one out of a 98 sport and have been running it.. and it cost me 42 bucks..

I spoke too soon,
It might be a direct plug and play if it is a later 96. If an earlier 96, you might have to use your current cam sensor and put it in the 96 dizzy.

Last edited:
Ok but the dizzy will work if I swap cam sensors??

Dizzy <> Cam Sensor

Swap the pickup in the dizzy and you should be fine. It is NOT a cam sensor.

Why swapping dizzy?

Basically just mark where the rotor is pointing when you take off the cap and when you drop in the new dizzy make sure it is pointing in the exact same place.

on the 96 it should be the same for yours just use your pick ups.. and the way the dizzy seats is either 180 out of dead on.. theres a flat key on the bottom that seats..

Got it, thanks guys! I had to swap mine because it was starting to squeal, and getting worse every day. The reason I needed to know about a 96 dizzy working at first, was because the local JY had one for $40, then I started thinking and Carquest had one reman with warranty for $47 (my cost) and I knew my pick up was good so no problem swapping it over. The dizzy from CQ for MY year was $97...was worth saving $50.

Yeah, the distributor for the 4.0 is all years, just the synch sensor needs to be correct for the year/engine management system.

they probably use a generic pic for all of them since its the same dizzy... but the pick-up by its self is 40 bucks so you choose how you wanna do it .. last time i spun a dizzy i just went to the junk yard and pulled one out of a 98 sport and have been running it.. and it cost me 42 bucks..

You did switch the synch sensor to the correct one for your OBDI, right?

Diesel: The Camshaft Position Sensor is in the distributor and is the 3-lead pigtail connector that comes out of it. It is also referred to as the sync/pickup sensor(for the cam). In mid-96, Jeep(Chrysler) decided to change connector styles, so even though most of the electronics function the exact same(save for the ccd bus system that was added in 97), they have different p/ns due to the newer style connectors. The dizzys are the same, the cam sensor connectors are not(anyone who is fine with cutting and soldering does not mind the differences as much when you gotta do. . .).

Back