• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dirtbound fans, YJ Brackets, and 3row CSF install.

Thanks for the pics and the explanations! I did my install a few days back, a bit different than yours but still very similar. I also wired in the drivers side fan to the OE Electric fan so it should keep the computer in check. (as you also did I believe) :) Plus in doing that I'm using the fuses and relays to run one fan at a time and it should be a bit more of a fail-safe so at least 1 fan stays active if need be. So far while running this the temps are very stable and so far so good. Of course it's been COLD out... so Summertime will be a real tell tell. The only thing that concerns me a little... is that I have the 12V hard wired so it's always getting power (not wired to a key-on power source) so the main fan runs after I shut down for a bit. I just don't want it to effect the battery in a bad way and leave me stranded.... so that part of my current set up is still up for change if need be.

I had to buy several bits and pieces to finish up the wiring. Things I believe should be included in the wiring kit but are not. Off the top of my head... 2 fused wiring leads, crimp connectors, a few bits and pieces... nothing hard to find (local auto parts or Radio Shack store should suffice)... but I think those pieces should be included in the kit or that should be noted on DB's website.

I'll post up some of my pics now...

DBElectricFans_zpsc3319293.jpg

DBElectricFans2_zps470a9f59.jpg

DBElectricFans3_zpscffedcfc.jpg

Bracket and passenger side fan hits/rests on the power steering box... it fits, but this may lead to trouble down the road... we'll see.

DBElectricFans4_zps142e3176.jpg

DBElectricFans5_zpsa33a9fd0.jpg

Top side buttoned up

DBElectricFans6_zpsb84bf2d3.jpg

Here's part of where I had to trim the radiator support... also cut off the lower 'tabs' so the support could go down closer to the aluminum fan shroud.

DBElectricFans7_zps02a8aaa9.jpg

DBElectricFans8_zps2a046891.jpg

DBElectricFans9_zps3b5e55a2.jpg

DBElectricFans10_zpsbe1172c8.jpg

I mounted the temp control back closer to the firewall as I'm hoping it makes changing the spark plugs a bit easier... as we know how much of a pain in the butt it is pulling the OE Coil Pack away to get clearance. We shall see... :)

DBElectricFans11_zpsc6c25a51.jpg

I still need to clean up my wiring a bit around the battery... but that will wait until the weather warms up a bit this Spring.

Thanks for the pics and the explanations! I did my install a few days back, a bit different than yours but still very similar. I also wired in the drivers side fan to the OE Electric fan so it should keep the computer in check. (as you also did I believe) :) Plus in doing that I'm using the fuses and relays to run one fan at a time and it should be a bit more of a fail-safe so at least 1 fan stays active if need be. So far while running this the temps are very stable and so far so good. Of course it's been COLD out... so Summertime will be a real tell tell. The only thing that concerns me a little... is that I have the 12V hard wired so it's always getting power (not wired to a key-on power source) so the main fan runs after I shut down for a bit. I just don't want it to effect the battery in a bad way and leave me stranded.... so that part of my current set up is still up for change if need be.

I had to buy several bits and pieces to finish up the wiring. Things I believe should be included in the wiring kit but are not. Off the top of my head... 2 fused wiring leads, crimp connectors, a few bits and pieces... nothing hard to find (local auto parts or Radio Shack store should suffice)... but I think those pieces should be included in the kit or that should be noted on DB's website.

I'll post up some of my pics now...

DBElectricFans_zpsc3319293.jpg

DBElectricFans2_zps470a9f59.jpg

DBElectricFans3_zpscffedcfc.jpg

Bracket and passenger side fan hits/rests on the power steering box... it fits, but this may lead to trouble down the road... we'll see.

DBElectricFans4_zps142e3176.jpg

DBElectricFans5_zpsa33a9fd0.jpg

Top side buttoned up

DBElectricFans6_zpsb84bf2d3.jpg

Here's part of where I had to trim the radiator support... also cut off the lower 'tabs' so the support could go down closer to the aluminum fan shroud.

DBElectricFans7_zps02a8aaa9.jpg

DBElectricFans8_zps2a046891.jpg

DBElectricFans9_zps3b5e55a2.jpg

DBElectricFans10_zpsbe1172c8.jpg

I mounted the temp control back closer to the firewall as I'm hoping it makes changing the spark plugs a bit easier... as we know how much of a pain in the butt it is pulling the OE Coil Pack away to get clearance. We shall see... :)

DBElectricFans11_zpsc6c25a51.jpg

I still need to clean up my wiring a bit around the battery... but that will wait until the weather warms up a bit this Spring.

Looking good! I would like too see how you wired the stock harness.

FYI while I was in Tucson, AZ during he summer when it was above 100degrees F, the fans were not cutting it. I would run around 215-220, and I also double check my temps with a inrared run to confirm them still couldnt keep the jeep cool. With hood vents, new hoses, new water pump etc..

Looking good! I would like too see how you wired the stock harness.

FYI while I was in Tucson, AZ during he summer when it was above 100degrees F, the fans were not cutting it. I would run around 215-220, and I also double check my temps with a inrared run to confirm them still couldnt keep the jeep cool. With hood vents, new hoses, new water pump etc..

I'll try and snag some additional pics of the wiring and such later this week... depending on the weather. :) Obviously when the weather is 11 Degree outside overheating is not as much a problem as when the weather warms to 100+ degrees for days on end. This Summer will tell the tell as to how well these work.

What radiator are/were you running during those Summertime runs in Tucson?

Here's some additional pics. I'm having a slight leak around my Temp Control gauge... apparently not enough plumbers tape used.

Anyone have any suggestions on a way to keep this from leaking? I'm going to take it apart again when it warms up a bit... just too dang cold right now. Plus it's only a very slight leak so I'll keep an eye on it for now. I also need to find a better way to secure the overflow hose. Think I'll pick up some self taping screws and mount it in the aluminum shroud just to stabilize it. Also planning on cleaning up the wiring a bit when it warms up.

Now on to the pics...

Leaking around the plumbers tape

TempControl_zpse9200a44.jpg

Wiring_zpsa0cd2efb.jpg

Wiring2_zpsdae16c0e.jpg

I think Loctite makes a compound that is supposed to replace / work better than plumbers tape. Might give that a shot.
Otherwise... more plumbers tape, more torque..?

I'll try and snag some additional pics of the wiring and such later this week... depending on the weather. :) Obviously when the weather is 11 Degree outside overheating is not as much a problem as when the weather warms to 100+ degrees for days on end. This Summer will tell the tell as to how well these work.

What radiator are/were you running during those Summertime runs in Tucson?

I have been running a CSF 3row, since I orignally posted this thread. I also have hood vents.

Looks like I got the leaking temp gauge fixed. Used some water pump / thermostat gasket maker from the auto parts store. Cleaned up the threads, put an abundance of 'goop' on the threads and then snugged up the brass fitting nice and tight. Let it sit overnight to make sure of a good cure before pressuring up my cooling hoses. After a good week it looks like that issue is resolved. :)

Here's a pic

TempControl2_zps5c26cef3.jpg

Back