• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dirt cheap XJ OBD-II engine monitoring with your smart phone

Got mine this afternoon. Fired it up and let it run. It never did auto-populate the VIN so I manually input it. Got around to reading codes and pulled:

P0122 TPS Sensor/Switch "A" Circuit Low

P0705 Transmission Range Sensor "A" Circuit (PRNDL Input)

I'm thinking they're related for sure. I recently replaced a TPS that got wet with a new one and did the battery + to ground and the 3 warmup cycles that cleared the code and have driven it a bit since.
I've had the console apart more recently to wire switches so wondering if there might be a ground or something I inadvertently disturbed in the area - something near the shifter/4WD shifter. I'll check it out Saturday but am certainly open to suggestions. Being green to this high tech stuff and all.

I cleared both codes just to see how long it takes for them to return. Rig seemed to be running fine, nothing like the lurch it was doing when the TPS was wet.
They came in on a 20 mile return trip from fishing at South Fork. Just happened to notice it when I parked at the store for brine to smoke the rainbows.

Last edited:
You guys need to take the next step. 7" tablets are fairly cheap these days. Fits perfectly in the radio spot. Connect a bluetooth to rca reciever to it and to your stereo amplifier running all your speakers. Connect a bluetooth microphone to it for phone.. Have your phone link to the tablet every time you get in the heep for internet and phone. Engine monitoring, music (use Poweramp) and phone.

You can also have it auto connect to free Wifi when within range like McD's and other places. There is an ap for that. Mine will auto connect when I pull in the driveway and pull down anything I place in a dump folder on my pc. Want to get a motion sensor for the camera as a security device and dump pics down to home pc. Next would be bluetooth cameras for rearview and for front tires and placement on rocks!!

but am certainly open to suggestions. Being green to this high tech stuff and all.

I'm using the ELM-327 wi-fi($20) with my Iphone 4 and Enginelink($6). DashCommand looks like it's worth the extra $4 for the o2 sensor data and nicer displays. I had to set the adapter IP address and port number to communicate back and forth in order to read/clear codes, so maybe that was somebody's issue. It was a no-brainer buying the $10 elm-327 bluetooth for my brother(has an Android) for Christmas and a elm 327 wi-fi for my dad who knows how to operate the Apple products better than me.

Last edited:
I wonder if there is a way to get the info from one of these scanners to display on a 2 din dash radio? Say maybe if the radio had the App feature? Possibly wire the scanner module directly to the radio also, that way the Bluetooth can be used for music from a phone or phone calls.

Get a cheap 2din android head unit on ebay and run your regular app.

I wonder if there is a way to get the info from one of these scanners to display on a 2 din dash radio? Say maybe if the radio had the App feature? Possibly wire the scanner module directly to the radio also, that way the Bluetooth can be used for music from a phone or phone calls.

if you get something that does bluetooth 4+ will support multiple connections and audio streams. not sure you'll find a cheap DIN unit that does that.

if you get something that does bluetooth 4+ will support multiple connections and audio streams. not sure you'll find a cheap DIN unit that does that.
Makes sense. I wasn't sure if the radio could handle multiple bluetooth connections at the same time. I'll have to look into that angle.

Will the Torque-pro tell me if various sensors like CPS and camshaft sensor and TPS and MAF etc are behaving; can it monitor missing cylinders or injector issues. I have a post about my 96 with cutout and stalling problems I cannot seem to fix. It starts great but any load will cause problems.

can anybody get fuel pressure out of these readers or find a way to diagnose a crank or camshaft position sensor? I have no codes and my torque app shows me what I already know ... the engine stumbles and stalls HELP

Will the Torque-pro tell me if various sensors like CPS and camshaft sensor and TPS and MAF etc are behaving; can it monitor missing cylinders or injector issues. I have a post about my 96 with cutout and stalling problems I cannot seem to fix. It starts great but any load will cause problems.
Every code reader or app I have seen will post a CEL code, indicating a problem that may be cause by several things.
They do monitor some functions such as the O2 sensor, TPS and MAF .
They do not monitor fuel pressure since there isn't a pressure sensor in the system.
Some manufacturers have added extra sensors and, with additional software, can monitor things such as transmission temp.

Anyone know what standard the OBD2 port is for CAN communication?

Just an update.

P0122 TPS Sensor/Switch "A" Circuit Low
P0705 Transmission Range Sensor "A" Circuit (PRNDL Input)

Had both these codes (as reported above), cleared them with the Kiwi/DashCommand, made the same trip to my fishing hole twice (where my 2.5 yr. old grandson caught his first fish, a 2lb/18" cut-bow - with help from Grandpa of course) and the codes have stayed clear. I'm fine with it being a mystery as long as they stay away. Love having the ability to see what's going on and remedy.

Back