• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Director at large position?

RlCHARD CRANlUM

NAXJA Forum User
We've been discussing the idea of having a Director at large position on the NW Chapter BOD. With the President and VP positions both being in the South, we'd like to get a representative from up North. Another option would be to have a South end Director, and a North end Director. I think that's overkill though. In the future, if the President and VP end up in the North again, the Director at large position would be filled from a Southerner. Anyone have a problem with that, or anything to add? How about interested parties, or individuals you think we should railroad into this?

Basically we're looking for someone to give a voice to the north end of the chapter. It's been said multiple times that the north end lacks leadership, and we're hoping that with this position the north end will be just as active as the south. The North End Director will be in charge of planning/advising local activities for the area, such as meet-n-greets and trail runs. Also, staying on top of when local work parties and clean-ups are happening. You don't necessarily have to attend all activities, but offering your local input and getting the ball rolling on events is what we hope for.

A__x

Where's Rich?

I have thought that a possition like this is a good idea for several years while we still didn't have much communication between the North and South groups. However, I don't know that this is a good move now that both groups are of reasonable size and for the most part know of each other and what each is up to.

Do we really need a board position to set up Meet and Greets? What events other than NW Fest? Pass on WHAT information that isn't already been posted? Please understand I am just trying to see both sides of this before we make a change :peace:

I am in charge of the trail adoption at Walker (I don't need a board position).
I think we should have another 1 or 2 of me both up here and down in OR, or even Idaho or Alaska or BC.
I think we should put a couple people together for NW Fest or other trail run's if we want more of these.

Do we really need someone to coodinate info outside of the board?

Michael

Is this an elected position or a designated by the BOD position?
What exactly is the job description?
Do you mean Western WA or Eastern WA or Idaho, Montana (Realisticly all the NAXJA members in those two states frequent the InterMountain Chapter anyways...) ?
Are you breaking Western WA in Half at Seattle and leaving out the Olympic Penninsula?

I understand the idea behind this but it really seems like an added level of trouble.
My $.02

This is an elected position. The job entails organizing meet & greets, and trail runs when things are quiet, as well as helping with NWFest planning.

We are not looking to split anything up, we just want an active member from up North to keep things moving. Our chapter covers a lot of ground, but the two core groups are in the Portland metro area, and Seattle-ish area. We simply want the North end to have an official ambassador so to speak. When things are active, it's not necessarily needed. But when things are slow, we need someone designated to keep things moving.

I can see your point that this may be adding an unneeded level of trouble, but at times we need someone to take a leadership position to stir up activity in the chapter. Getting people together both on and off the trail leads to building friendships in the chapter. An active chapter is good for everyone.

Back