• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Differentials, constant velocity shafts, soild axles...what have you got to say?

96XJ_4.0

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so school me on drivetrains.

Open differentials allow slip left and right. One wheels spins on the axle. during cornering the left and right wheels can spin at different speeds. Right?

Solid, live, locked, posi, Limited-Slip, are all terms for an axle that cannot allow slip while cornering and accelerating. So both wheels on the axle spin all the time...right?

Open diffs save tires and are safer for people on the street. Open diff 4x4s will only give traction to 2 wheels while slipping, one on each axle.

Locked diffs bind the inside tire during cornering and wear tires faster. Locked diffs won't slip off road giving traction to both wheels on that axle. So all four wheels can get traction.

The NP231 transfer case is solid locked gear to gear without slipping FRONT TO REAR. This means nothing side to side...right?

The NP242 transfer case has a "open differential?, clutch pack?" that allows slipping front to rear. This still means nothing as far as slipping side to side...

Correct? Am I reading this right?

Where can I find a list of differentials and what cars they came on, disc brakes, and gear ratio?

Last edited:
Ok so school me on drivetrains.

Open differentials allow slip left and right. One wheels spins on the axle. during cornering the left and right wheels can spin at different speeds. Right?

Solid, live, locked, posi, Limited-Slip, are all terms for an axle that cannot allow slip while cornering and accelerating. So both wheels on the axle spin all the time...right?
Solid is the construction of the axle (solid axle, independent suspension) locked is a "locker" lets the wheels turn freely when COASTIING, under power they are locked together. Limited slip is always functioning, just never full lock up, one wheel may be able to spin while the other is stationary.

Open diffs save tires and are safer for people on the street. Open diff 4x4s will only give traction to 2 wheels while slipping, one on each axle.

Locked diffs bind the inside tire during cornering and wear tires faster. Locked diffs won't slip off road giving traction to both wheels on that axle. So all four wheels can get traction.

Provided there is a locker in both axles.

The NP231 transfer case is solid locked gear to gear without slipping FRONT TO REAR. This means nothing side to side...right?

This transfercase gives a 50/50 split of torque front and rear. The axles themselves can still split torque from the right to left.

The NP242 transfer case has a "open differential?, clutch pack?" that allows slipping front to rear. This still means nothing as far as slipping side to side...
This transfercase allows the front and rear to split torque how they want, allowing you to use 4WD on dry pavement without and negative side effects. It also has a 4-Part time that acts just as a 231

Correct? Am I reading this right?

Where can I find a list of differentials and what cars they came on, disc brakes, and gear ratio?

Ok...so I think I'm gettin this.

Anything about a list of diffs that work as an upgrade on the Cherokee? What they need to fit, gear raito, etc...

EDIT- So I type slow

Yes

Wrong. Don't confuse traction devices with axle types. A solid beam, live axle can be open differential, limited slip differential, or have a locking differential. Solid axles have axle tubes on either side of the differential. Ford had a semi independent axle they called the Twin Traction beam. It was a 2 part solid axle. Some vehicles have Independent Suspension which is not really an axle at all.

Traction devices can be Limited Slip or Locking. Limited Slip is the function Posi-Traction, and Trac-Loc are all the same thing from different manufacturers Both will allow the differential to spin the tires at different speeds. A locker "unlocks" to go around turns.

Google or wikipedia is your friend here.

Open diffs save tires and are safer for people on the street.

They are easier on tires and stupid people are just stupid.

Open diff 4x4s will only give traction to 2 wheels while slipping, one on each axle.

True

With excessive torque, a locking differential will lock and bark the tires. Adjust your driving and the locker will unlock and operate as if open. Locking differentials give traction to both tires when locked.

The NP231 transfer case is solid locked gear to gear without slipping FRONT TO REAR.

The NP242 transfer case has a "open differential?, that allows slipping front to rear.

The transfer case provides engine torque 50/50 to the drive shafts, what the axle does with the torque depends on if it is open, Limited Slip, or locked.

The NP242 has an internal differential that only operates in Full-Time and can vary the torque distibution. The part-time selections function the same as the NP231 and split the torque 50/50.

Anything about a list of diffs that work as an upgrade on the Cherokee? What they need to fit, gear raito, etc...

Read old threads, Search the NAXJA forum, Google other 4x4 forums, nearly anything can be made to "fit", the question is how much effort and money do you want to invest in an axle swap, based on what you are planning on doing with your modified 4x4.

Start here -> http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80707

Last edited:
Back