• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Different Thermostat

smccollamjr

NAXJA Forum User
Vehicle Stats: '96, 4.0, AX-15, D30/8.25.

I just replaced my thermostat. The old one had a little hole of some sort in the metal above the actual thermostat. The new one didn't. What's the hole for? Do I need it?

It is there to allow air to escape since the thermostat lays on its side instead of flat like it does in most auto applications. (An old school mechanic told me this) If it doesn't have an air hole in it then you could get an air bubble there and that could cause problems later with the thermostat not opening all the way I suppose ? The air hole goes at the Top when you install a thermostat that has one. I know that the NAPA stat I bought was like $6 and change, but the stealer charged me over $18 for the stat with the air hole with the ball bearing in it. I'm a sucker so I bought it...

I bought it 3 years ago when I replace the water pump but didn't put it in until yesterday, so it's too late to take it back. I'll keep an eye on the temp gauge and see what happens. I wonder if I could just drill a hole in this one??

Yes you can is what I found out AFTER I bought the $18 stat. Use a 1/8 drill bit and put the hole at the top when you mount the stat. If you burp the system like I do, 2 days in a row, you should be fine. I know its overkill but I never had any problems when I flush the antifreeze in any of my vehicles. I burp it once I am done and then I do it again the next day to make sure all the air gets out.

smccollamjr said:
By "burping" do you mean letting it run without radiator cap?

on the open system you can either run with the rad cap off or it will just bubble into the overflow bottle......on the closed system it is a little more difficult.

Back