• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff fluid suggestions.

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
What weight should i buy and how much? i know i need limited slip additive for the rear. Is one tube enough. Also should i just use permatex or is there something better. Btw it has the 8.25 and D30

I run Lucas in both my diffs, but I am not sure if it is usable with a LSD. I am open up front and run a Powertrax in the rear. I use permatex and it has done fine. I use the copper b/c I have a good FREE supply from a friend of mine. I am sure that there is a better color to use, but that is what I had.

LubeLocker gaskets....they're awesome.

I just changed my rear diff fluid a few weeks ago. Used Permatex RTV Ultra Black. Has held up just fine...no leaks what so ever.

As for what weight of fluid, that depends on how you use your XJ. Less extreme use or normal driving would use a lighter weight than a XJ that is primarily used for offroading or towing.

Use the search...there are a lot of threads that discussed what weight is recommended for your application.

kind of a mix it will mainly be a street rig with the occasional wheeling trip or detour

80w-80 or 75w-90 for lighter duty use

75w-140 for a HD use(trail thrashing or trailer towing).

Follow your LSD directions. Some specifically say no synthetics due to chatter. For a Trac-loc its 4 oz. of additive.

I use Permatex blue.. I seem to have a bunch of half used tubes, so I am using them up SLOWLY

JNickel101 said:
LubeLocker gaskets....they're awesome.

I was a little skeptical about the Lube Lockers. But I got a set for my D30 and D44. And they're great!

any view on Amsoil or Roal Purple?

Just changed diff fluid 1 quart of lucas the rest 80w90 napa gear oil

Magus2727 said:
any view on Amsoil or Roal Purple?

AMSOIL offers viscosities from a 75w-90 up to a SAE 250(intended for racing applications). I used the Severe Gear in a 75w-90 and now I use the Severe Gear 75w-140. The 140 is probably a bit thick for a daily driver, but my heep is now mostly a toy. I was VERY suprised after the switch to the 140 how quiet the EZ-Locker became. I can barely hear it do anything on trail, and I don't hear it click on the street at all.

I was a RP user for a few years. The only bad experience with their products I had was with their gear lube and some wierd looking grey sludge left in my diffs. Their sales policies(this was before they decided to mass market) were what originally drove me away from their products.

Royal Purple all the way limited slip additive already pre mixed in proven to reduce friction enough to lower temps in the diffs adding life to your diffs and helping with gas mileage by reducing frictional drag. May be on the pricey side but I have found with almost all cars you gotta spend a lil money to save a lot of money in the long run. I runn royal purple in the diffs the t-case and the engine. When I do oil changes and can tell a difference in power and I get atleast 1 mpg increase in fuel mileage if not more.

so AMSOIL won AMSOIL's test huh? Um biased much? Serioulsy guys if your going to pull out test results pull it from a non-biased non-profit independent test not one done by an oil company. I am not saying Royal Purple is the 100% hands down best out there but it, until recently, was only available for race applications and now they have taken their technology and know how and opened up to the high performance consumer street market. Same with Lucas. Now those other companys I am sure they do the job just fine but these are performance oils intended for performance applications and HD applications that the other oils aren't intended/designed for such as oversized tires, high horsepower engines, etc.

Ben824 said:
so AMSOIL won AMSOIL's test huh? Um biased much? Serioulsy guys if your going to pull out test results pull it from a non-biased non-profit independent test not one done by an oil company. I am not saying Royal Purple is the 100% hands down best out there but it, until recently, was only available for race applications and now they have taken their technology and know how and opened up to the high performance consumer street market. Same with Lucas. Now those other companys I am sure they do the job just fine but these are performance oils intended for performance applications and HD applications that the other oils aren't intended/designed for such as oversized tires, high horsepower engines, etc.

Regardless of who "won" the test, Look past Amsoils results and at all the other brands. They were all tested w/ the same methods and I seriously doubt the 3rd party testers cared who did better than the others. Bottom line is if you can buy Castrol Syn gear lube (or similar) for less than the other guys and get better overall performance, why bother w/ the others that didn't test as well. Just because it is a pricier boutique brand doesn't mean it is Better.

theoriginalscion said:
I've always liked Redline Products. But I tend to mix fluids to get benifits of both.

Mixing different brand fluids isn't always the best. Check w/ the MFG of the products you are using and see what they suggest. Many MFG's formulations are specific to an application and mixing may mess up what they engineered in the first place. FWIW, REdline does make some good products and tested better than RP in gear oil but still not as good as other brands. (once again, regardless of Amsoils performance)

Not sure if I have a limited slip or not. The tag from the 8.25 indicates 9429 on a 2000. XJ Sport. I used straight gear oil on 80-85W on change but seems to spin on slightest snow cover. Any suggestions? I do some offroading but 4WD Low and low on transmission gets me through most situations.

Back