• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff fluid: glittery and bubbles

sharq

NAXJA Forum User
Just pulled the cover on my '95 8.25 and there is the glitter of metal shaving and the fluid has bubbles in it. Has the fluid been contaminated? Fill/reseal and all should be fine? Should i be concerned. I pulled the cover because things have felt a little off back there (small shimmy). I thought I would just pull the cover, check to make sure everything was OK and refill the fluid but now that i see this im worried.

shimmy + metal shavings+ water (what the bubbles likely were) = bad bearings.

Disconnect the driveshaft from the pinion yoke, then check for play with a prybar or screwdriver.

Take the same prybar and check the carrier for play by prying against the case.

Both places should be pretty tight with minimal movement. If it moves noticeably the bearings are bad.

what bearings are we talking about? im a novice at rear ends (obviously).

i have the rear up on jack stands now. if i hold one tire and try to rotate the other the carrier has a little play.

i disconnected the shaft. there is definite play. too much play? i dont know. it has just as much play as the spare i have in my garage. i dont need a pry bar too turn it. can turn it by hand just fine.

you don't need a prybar to turn it, apply pressure to the side of the yoke and look to see how much movement there is.

it's excessive if you can see it move the seal in my opinion.

Your shimmy might also be caused by worn U-joints or a driveshaft angle. It's hard to say. Shiny metal slime in the bottom of the diff is always a very bad sign that the bearings have been eating themselves up.

How much metal was there? Was it bigger pieces (rice sized) or a metal paste? What did the gearset look like? Any scoring or heat marks? New wear marks?

the gears look fine. i didnt notice if the yoke had play when i was messing with it but i didnt put much side pressure on it. just that when i turn the pinion back and forth it has a little play vs. the carrier. the glittery fluid i noticed on the cover when the sun hit it. took the drain pan out into the sun while typing this and yes there is a glitter to it. the fluid isnt all bubbly just a few here and there between teeth in the gears and sparsely on the surface of the drain pan. im about to throw the cover back on and fill with new fluid. my girl needs to drive this jeep to work tomorrow. no time to rebuild it today. this one has a budget boost on it so i doubt its a drive shaft angle issue.

btw, i got that MJ fuel pump issue figured out that we had been talking about months ago. grafted everything from an XJ pump onto the old MJ frame/pickup.

figured that would fix it. (the fuel pump)

If it's not a sludge on the bottom of the diff I'd chalk that up to normal wear and refill/run it.

The play in the rotation is backlash and is normal, side to side play perpendicular to the pinion shaft is not.

sounds good. just got the cover back on. gonna fill 'er up and see.
great talk, manche. till next time...

Back