• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did y'all get your xj for looks or reliability and offroad capability?

ILoveJeeps

NAXJA Forum User
I thought along time ago about getting a exploder(explorer) but it doesn't perform like a jeep. It's been in the back of my mind that I only like jeeps because of their offroad performance and reliability. I mean I don't know what I like anymore. Did y'all buy for looks or reliability and offroad. I mean I want a jeep xj cause of their offroad capability,reliability,aftermarket parts,front and rear solid axles,strongest transfers cases. But no so much for Looks cause wheeling is my passion and a jeep will let me enjoy my passion. Am I wrong?

How is this modified tech?

I didn't know where to post it I thought it would be off topic but If I'm talking about jeeps and offroad I thought it would be modifed tech. Can a mod move it to where it's supposed to go?

Does it matter?

Look I'm not trying to be a jerk, but, you need to try and keep your post on topic and within relevancy of the section your in. If you want to be taken seriously and be respected in the forum you need to stop with the worthless posts and threads. If you have something relevant to say, by all means, post it. If not..... You get the picture. A lot of folks come to this site for help and when you have someone posting questions like " how would you make a Rat Rod XJ" or " does anyone know how to bobtail the front of an XJ" it takes away from the creditably of the site. You don't want to be called a troll? Don't do the thing trolls do. Cool?

Trust me. I was a new member once (insert joke here). Im sure I posted misplaced and didn't search. God things were rough back then. Lol. I'm just trying to save you the heartache of learning the hard way. Welcome to NAXJA and I wish you the best. Good luck.

I like xj's?

Got mine cause it was cheap and a 5spd so my (then) girlfriend couldn't steal it from me when her crap du jour would break down. 17 yrs and a new girl later, I don't know what I'm going to do without him. :(

Best part is my (now) wife came with her own XJ. lol!

Look I'm not trying to be a jerk, but, you need to try and keep your post on topic and within relevancy of the section your in. If you want to be taken seriously and be respected in the forum you need to stop with the worthless posts and threads. If you have something relevant to say, by all means, post it. If not..... You get the picture. A lot of folks come to this site for help and when you have someone posting questions like " how would you make a Rat Rod XJ" or " does anyone know how to bobtail the front of an XJ" it takes away from the creditably of the site. You don't want to be called a troll? Don't do the thing trolls do. Cool?

Damn man. Busting my balls aren't you? I guess in my mind I was misinformed post anything you want but as long as it's on topic and friendly.

Not busting your balls man. I read where you posted you were banned from two other sites already. That's all.

I first bought a two wheel drive and lifted it because Ilike the look. Thats all I wanted. I took it offroad once and it changed my life. Now my xj is built to go, not for show.

My wife picked it out for the four doors, four wheel drive, looks, and size. I suggested she "look at those four door Jeeps; I hear the engines are reliable."

Little did we know, we were buying an adventure. :)

I bought mine to get into jeeps finally. It carries all my junk and keeps it dry. Now it's lifted, locked, caged and has made the journey to Utah and back.

I bought mine for a variety of reasons. Four-wheeling wasn't really on the list. I wanted something that would keep up in bad weather, and that I could take in the woods if I wanted, but light trail riding was the worst I had In mind.

At the time, I worked a job where I had to haul 2 or 3 people around on short trips several times a day. Four doors helped. I also had to regularly pull into/out of a very tight parking garage and needed something small.
I wanted something that wouldn't slow down in bad weather.
I wanted to keep a Jeep(my Cj was falling apart)

I did very little research. Saw it on a Nissan dealer lot, called a buddy with the VIN and had him run it through the dealer database: Dealer serviced it's whole life. Bought it the next day. Didn't know about coil rails, LP axles, the 0331 head.
I quit the job the following spring.

Ten years later,..
The XJ's been to Oshkosh, Yellowstone, The Seattle Museum of Flight, Moab, the Louisiana swamps and points in between.
It's been in snow up to the axles, water up to the rockers, sand up to the floorboards, in rain so hard it stripped paint from the roof, and rocks it had no business being anywhere near.
I've self recovered it from deep sand on the Oregon coast while the tide rolled in. It's been winched off a rock on the Rubicon trail.

Well, I've still got a Jeep, and it certainly didn't slow down in "bad weather".

I married into Jeeps, the wife was the Jeep fan. It was my job to do the services, repairs and general maintenance. I went through two pickups (a Dodge and a Chevy) while she had her FSJ. When she bought a new 87 XJ, I shortly thereafter bought an 88 MJ. I was thinking I could halve my parts inventory if we both drove, basically, the same thing.

Back in those days, around here, the closest dealer was around 800 miles away, so you learned to do it yourself. And kept a stock of parts handy.

My MJ was named the "Flying Brick". It was mainly set up as a freeway flier. Sixty series high speed tires, 3.07 differentials with an AW4. It would hang with most Mercedes or BMW on the autobahn and pass them all in the ice and snow. People forget, the early Renix MJ's were at that time, the fastest production pick up truck. At the time I had an 80 mile daily commute and no speed limits on the autobahn.

The wifes XJ was up country on 235 MT's, I'd take that hunting.

We now have two XJ's, some guy made me an offer I couldn't refuse and I sold him my MJ.

Back