• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did my own brakes, drove for three weeks, now front right brake is always on...

Wow, that doesn't happen very often. There must have been a lot of moisture in the brake fluid for a long time and it rusted the piston and cylinder. This is one of the reasons I like to change the brake fluid every 1-2 years. A $6.00 bottle of fluid is cheap insurance.

I'm glad you finally got it straightened out.

I simply run a piece of vacuum hose from the bleeder to a bottle with a bit of fluid in... Crack open the bleeder and pump away.... No need to tighten and looses the bleeder constantly.... Been doing this for years and makes bleeding brakes quick. Valved Bleeders are a sham

I use the hose as mentioned above (I think mine is actually an old piece of fish tank air hose because you can see through it) and my motive products pressure bleeder is great, I can flush my brake lines without a helper!

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I am having the same problem. Is this what Warlock meant with the groove in the knuckle? It looks like it was made that way but maybe that's just how it wears.

7u8yty4y.jpg

That is from the caliper and pad getting stuck then stopped on.

I would replace that although I have seen way worse.

The caliper/pads should be free to move around that ridge unobstructed.

Re: Re: Did my own brakes, drove for three weeks, now front right brake is always on.

That is from the caliper and pad getting stuck then stopped on.

I would replace that although I have seen way worse.

The caliper/pads should be free to move around that ridge unobstructed.

Ok, so you would replace the whole knuckle? What about grinding it down a little bit so it has a flat spot to move along?

Re: Did my own brakes, drove for three weeks, now front right brake is always on.

Ok, so you would replace the whole knuckle? What about grinding it down a little bit so it has a flat spot to move along?

You should weld on the area that is worn down, then grind it down flat, so the whole thing is flat all the way across.

I don't know how to weld so if I had this problem I would buy a case of good beer and ask who in my area welds.

I'll try the lube first. I don't weld either, although I'm really close to buying a welder and learning right now. I think I'm going to try and see if it's the caliper seized up first before I do anything drastic.

Back