• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did I get hosed: Average tranny swap cost.

jbcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks, looking at a mechanics bill in disgust right now and wondering if I should be.

Situation: AX-15 tranny swapped to a "new"er one from a junkyard.

Cost: $650 for labor to replace tranny and swap clutch (also needed) and swap tranny, transfer, and gear fluids.

Is that a decent price or am I getting hosed?

flat rate according to alldata:

tranny swap is a 3 hour job

clutch is a 3.4 hour job

t-case fluid is .5 hours

each diff fluid is .5 hours

so 7.4 hours of labor

so thats about $87 per hour of labor, which is well on the high side of things for this area.

and he could have saved you some cash by inluding the tranny swap in the cost of the clutch job seeing as the tranny comes out anyway.

so yea, that was a little high.

I know my shop charges $90/hr(way expensive) but we would have combined the tranny swap and clutch to one service for sure. Also I'm going to assume you had them use their fluids and you're paying mark up on that as well. Then any "shop supply fees."

get it done down here $125/hour for labor....tell them you'll supply the parts and they'll laugh you out the door

Jesus. I need to start up a garage in your area.

Jesus.you wouldn't I need to start up a garage in your area.

you wouldn't want to know what the rent is.......or at least that's what the owner said when he saw the look on my face

Back