• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

did alignment,still pulls to the right?

Check wheel base left to right as found the factory mounts are not always welded on that accurately.

jack up the front end and start the engine. a damaged spool valve in the steering box or dirt in the same will cause the power assist to be biased right. Seen this problem many times. also, try having the alignment shop run you a higher caster angle. when aligning vehicles with bigger than stock tires, the larger tires fool the computerized machines unless the user actually inputs the tire height (ten years of doing alignments)

BTW with bigger tires, caster shown on ,most alignment machines is higher than the actual caster on the vehicle. thats why, some have experienced DW even with all alignment angles perfect. Improper caster offset will also cause a drift right......you want approx 1/2 degree caster higher on the RHS

wrenchead99 said:
BTW with bigger tires, caster shown on ,most alignment machines is higher than the actual caster on the vehicle. thats why, some have experienced DW even with all alignment angles perfect. Improper caster offset will also cause a drift right......you want approx 1/2 degree caster higher on the RHS
And just how are you going to put 1/2 degree more caster on the right hand side???? It is a solid axle which you can NOT twist.

Gojeep said:
And just how are you going to put 1/2 degree more caster on the right hand side???? It is a solid axle which you can NOT twist.
By using an offset balljoint available from NAPA. The same way you would fix the camber... or both at the same time.

RickHB19 said:
By using an offset balljoint available from NAPA. The same way you would fix the camber... or both at the same time.

exactly,:yap: but an easier solution would be to simply raise caster. Higher caster will also corect for a slight pull in the steering box

You might also want to check the Unit bearing. I have a YJ, and I was going down the road, and it pulled to the right, come to find out, the wheel bearing on the passenger side in my D44 was way bad.

Take it in and have an alignment guy do it.
Should be able to straighten you out, or at least tell you how, what, where.
Get it straight on a machine and then mess with it

An alignment on a recently lifted vehicle needs to check more than just toe in, caster, and camber. You need to make sure that the distance from the front wheel to the rear wheel is the same on both sides, then check the FL to RR distance is the same as the FR to LR. Almost no alignment shops do this. This is called a 4 wheel alignment, but beware since many shops claim to do a 4 wheel alignment and don't even know how to set up their equipment to do it, if it is even designed to do it.

You have to work out if it is the rear springs or the front arms that are not square. Find points on the frame like the bolt centers for the cross member and measure both sides to the front and rear to see which is different left to right. With mine it was the front that was out so I added a extra shim to the lower control arm frame mount where caster is corrected and re-drilled the upper control arm holes further forward at the axle end after welding up the old ones. If the rear you can just drill a new hole in the spring perch to move the axle forward or rearward.

Back