• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dexron-VI and filters in AW4

hmmm...so now you have lead in your tranny? LOL

where do y'all get your WIX tranny filters?

The part that I don't understand is how can you have a universal fluid when ATF+4 and Dex III have different friction coefficients. The ATF+4 is slipperier. Putting Dexron in the Chrysler trannies caused clutch chatter and destroyed many transmissions and contributed to the notion that Chrysler built crappy trannies. Going the other way and putting the slipperier ATF+4 in the AW4 should cause more slippage and heat.

most "universal" fluids i've seen are either ATF+3/4 compatable, or DexII/III/Mercon compatable....not all of them. If you look at the Amsoil TorqueDrive ATF, it says nothing about ATF+3/4....just Dex/Merc. its pretty heavy duty, made for big Allison/GM/Ford trannies....

EDIT: However, their standard synthetic ATF does say its for ALL transmissions...All ATF/Dex/Merc...and a huge list of other ones. I feel safer using the TorqueDrive.

Last edited:
CASTROL IMPORT MULTIVEHICLE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID IS FOR USE IN MOST HONDA, TOYOTA, NISSAN AND OTHER IMPORTED VEHICLES.
  • Premium Synthetic Blend formula
  • Recommended for use in vehicles that require:
    • Honda, Acura — ATF–Z1 (except in CVTs)
    • Toyota, Lexus — Type T, T–III, T–IV
    • Nissan, Infiniti — Matic–D, Matic–J
    • BMW — LA2634, LT71141
    • Mitsubishi — Diamond SP–II, SP–III
    • Hyundai — SP–II, SP–III
    • Volvo (except 5 speed)
  • Also meets requirements of
    • ATF+3®, ATF+2®, ATF+®
    • Ford MERCON®, MERCON® V (Not for use where MERCON® SP is required).
    • General Motors DEXRON®–III H and prior (Not for use where DEXRON®–VI is required).
    • Allison C–4
CASTROL DOMESTIC MULTIVEHICLE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID IS FOR USE IN OLDER FORD & GENERAL MOTORS VEHICLES.

• Enhanced friction durability for smooth transmission performance.
  • Meets DEXRON®–III H requirements. Also satisfies requirements of DEXRON®, DEXRON®–III, IIE, and II. Do not use this ATF in applications calling for DEXRON®–VI.
  • Meets MERCON® requirements. May also be used in power steering applications where MERCON® is required. Use Castrol Type F ATF in applications calling for Type F. Do not use this ATF in applications calling for MERCON® V or MERCON® SP.

pierceME311 said:
I haven't been able to find a single filter that isn't made in china. Also typing like this makes you look like an asshat. There was no reason for it, simply state your observation.:thumbup:

It is called making a BOLD statement!! Simply stated obsevations can go unnoticed by the casual observer! Therefore his bold statement can be justified.Just because you found it offensive does not make it so for everyone! Calling this person a name because you found his bold statement offensive makes you childish! Get over it!

pierceME311 said:
I haven't been able to find a single filter that isn't made in china. Also typing like this makes you look like an asshat. There was no reason for it, simply state your observation.:thumbup:

I use Wix oil filters which are made in the US which is why I was surprised to see their tranny filter is made in China. What other brands have you found to be imported?

OK,

Now I am getting confused. When I bought my 90, (AW4) I took it to a shop and ask them to change the fluids. Since the place was a JEEP shop, I figured they get it right. He did mention using the stock fluid in the Tranny and Transfer case, which I had already read about on this forum. I ask him not to "flush" the system, and he said they usually just drain them and refill, and recommend doing it again in about a year, which I heard before.

So far, the thing runs like a champ, with no real issues.

Now it has been a year, so I am thinking of draining the fluid and refill, so should I do it myself, or take it back to the same mechanic? So, now I am confused on what fluid should go in as I want to stay with the original "stuff". If I do it myself, I know what is going in, so do I buy Castrol ATF or is there a better choice of original fluid? I will also do the transfer case. I was also thinking of sucking out the power steering fluid, and putting back in the same amount as I take out, just to get some fresh stuff in there. ANy issues with that?

The other question, anyone out there using redline gear oil in the axle?

Thanks in advance,
Bob:wave1:

FoMoCo said:
just noticed this the other day when I was at autozone, the only dex-III they carry now is Costal brand and everything else is dex-VI... I was like "WTF happend to dex-IV and dex-V, and where's my GD dex-III :huh:"

looks like it might be time to stockpile some dex-III at least till some solid evidence comes out that shows dex-VI is okay for the AW4 :banghead:

i work at an autozone (i know lame, but im a college student and need some $) and I know we have valvoline maxlife dex3 still... at least mine does, i put some back on the shelf yesterday.

Rough said:
I use Wix oil filters which are made in the US which is why I was surprised to see their tranny filter is made in China. What other brands have you found to be imported?

Well I've only done a small amount of searching for trans filters wich included wal-mart, autozone(on hand stock) and napa(on hand stock) of course the wal has super-tech(import) and listed fram and mopar, wich we know are prabably either hecho en mexic or china. I asked the guys at auto zone to just check their filters one day when I was in their for gear oil and they said all theirs were foreign and napa were the only ones that carry wix, whos trans filters are imported but are still high quality. I will recomend and alot of other guys here will too, NAPA is the place to. Unfortuantely they don't carry spicer parts anymore(that I'm aware of). I'm sticking with WIX (oil, trans, air, fuel) and NAPA.

cherokee4fun said:
I ask him not to "flush" the system, and he said they usually just drain them and refill, and recommend doing it again in about a year, which I heard before.

There is nothing wrong with flushing out your tranny. Just draining and refilling is a waste of time and money. You are only changing out a small percentage of your fluid that way. It just contaminates the new fluid by mixing with the old.

Back