• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detroit Locker Slipage...

Del00XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Not quite new to Jeepin', just new to XJ's for right now. Always done the ZJ thing just because it was different. Bye bye to my Purple 97' ZJ and hello to my new(er) 99' XJ. I did, as of now, RE 3.5 Superflex, OME shocks, Advance Adapters SYE, Tom Woods front shaft, SuperD30 w/ an OX locker, Rear D35 with a Detroit Locker, HD trac bar, stabilizer, JKS Disco's... Yady yada ya. Noticing recently that I have to to to much play in my Detriot. Btw I have 4:10's front and rear w/ 31'' Dick Cepek Radial's... Most people have told me that a 1/4 turn in the shaft is normal but I have at the least a 1/2 turn. Not good. Jerks so hard when I go to reverse to drive that I feel like my shaft is knocking on the floor. Not quite understanding how to solve this problem. Another quick question is how hard is it, and what u-joints should I put in? Any help would be greatly appreciated before this turns into a larger problem...

Is it a full case detroit?
if so, when it was installed was the backlash reset? My 35 required some shimming to get the backlash right when the Detroit went in. Excess play would be an indicator that you have too much backlash.

Oh yes it's a full Detroit rear. I'm gonna venture into taking off the cover some time this week. Now, my largest issue is an unknown drivetrain squeak I only experience after I run down the highway for a couple minutes. Maybe just mud somewhere it's not supposed to be. I greased all the u-joints and it didn't help. Kinda clueless on what is going on now!

Back