• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detours????

I understand that, and i have the the rear bumper and i have an issue with it that i need to discuss but i have been dealing with it but its annoying. My friend also bought the ZJ he used for the ZJ back bone mock up and i needed some important info from him and i had to deal with out because i could not get ahold of him. It sucks and i agree but i feel that there might be something further that may be at hand that we do not know about and we should just continue to be patient.

Tis I, it needed alot of work, full tune up, brakes, shocks, idler pulley, fuel pump, re wire all speakers and remove stock amp, water pump, radiator, exhaust, new lift gate, tires. its all done now minus the h20 pump and radiator, i am going up to his place in VT to do that this weekend i think. Otherwise it runs great.

Now, with new wheels, tires and custom flowmaster exhaust and cat, as well as everything else i listed.

DSCN0338.jpg

DSCN0339.jpg

DSCN0336.jpg

DSCN0334.jpg

In all reality no one here has been able to contact "Mark" nor received any information from "Mark". All positive responses are just speculation and wishful thinking. The Detours site has not been updated since last July. His phone is disconnected and he doesn't return emails. Everyone, including myself, has been waiting to hear something, begged for a response from him, patiently waited for any snippet of news, but NOTHING comes. His products are of high quality, innovative and reasonably priced. He has a following but he is losing potiential customers. It would only take a few minutes to update his website and give us some idea to wait or to find something else but he chooses not to. If he still exists, he should sell his design and let someone else provide these excellent products. If you are out there Mark, please do something....

Sorry if this sounded negative or pointed... I'm just wanting the bumper sooooo BAD!!!!

I just got a reply from him that the site will be updated in the next few days with new contact info and pricing. Costs are going up (due to steel prices, per his reply). I'd like to see how much more...might steer me elsewhere if it's more than 10%.

Hey great news, thanks for the update.

Well that sucks that prices are going up. I have been having issues with the swing arm on the tire carrier since the fall and i am hoping that he really does get back to us cause i would like to figure out a solution.

Everything is going up in price because of the price of oil. Short of building a fusion reactor there isn't much we can do about it, just buy less of it.

What is the problem? Not the latch I hope. That is my biggest fear about those tire carriers other than paying for one.

muckleroy said:
What is the problem? Not the latch I hope.

thats a real HD latch he uses and i never had any issue with mine and its suprisingly well protected where it is sticking off the back.

Excellent! That was what I was hopping to hear. I've seen "online" several bumper/tire carriers and when I saw this one I knew this is the one I wanted on my XJ. Hopefully his prices won't go from about $600 to over $1000.

sidriptide said:
thats a real HD latch he uses and i never had any issue with mine and its suprisingly well protected where it is sticking off the back.

The problem is not the latch, i never understood why everyone is so afraid of those, Its very tight and he even puts on two tabs and includes a pin as a safey so it cannot swing open, i have not used that in months and never had it loosen or open up.

The problem is the hinge, its a tapered shaft on the bumper end and the swing arm goes on that, with a screw in the top center to hold it on and a grease zerk. my problem is that that screw does not stay tight at all b/c the grease lubes the threads, preventing it from staying tight. thats the first issue, next issue is that if you over tighten the bolt it will make it very hard to open the swing arm. The final issue is that there is play in the pivot or hinge point so every time i hit a bump my rear tire and carrier makes a real loud ratteling sound. it also has play at the clamp point as well, its as tight as it needs to be to hold it closed but if you go out to it right now and grab the top of the tire and rock the tire you can move the entire swing arm just like it does when i hit bumps. its very annoying and i have been trying to resolve this since the fall and tis only gotten worse. (might not have had i been able to contact him in the fall)

I will take pics of the rear bumper if anyone needs.

i bought the rear bumper from him in spring 06 and im pretty sure he used lock-tite on it and set it finger tight so it didnt bind....

sidriptide said:
i bought the rear bumper from him in spring 06 and im pretty sure he used lock-tite on it and set it finger tight so it didnt bind....

I never had any directions to or even thought to try that, now i have to find a way to get the grease out of the screw hole so the lock tite will hold, but that still does not alleviate the issue of the whole swing arm ratteling. Hopefully if i can get it clean enough so it can be lock tited and tight enough to help stop teh ratteling.

great news!

Back