• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Denver shooting.

What a sad event!

I hear on NPR that it's not over yet and he boobie-trapped his apartment.

As for those who argue that CCW in the Theater would have been the answer... Who knows what affect it would have had on the outcome? God? Us? It's easy to be a backseat quarterback, and sometimes no matter how you prepare this stuff still happens.

My condolences to the Families of those stricken down by this sick individual !!!

Condolences to anyone who is affected from Jersey

As much as I agree and he deserves it, I'm pretty sure I heard that the death penalty, with the long drawn out judicial process, costs more
I wonder if he will get a life sentence or death penalty when sentenced? IMO he should be put to death. Why should we as a society who are responsible/sane taxpayers pay to keep him alive for 50+ years? He is only 24.

I Vote Death Penalty!

Condolences to anyone who is affected from Jersey

As much as I agree and he deserves it, I'm pretty sure I heard that the death penalty, with the long drawn out judicial process, costs more

sad that it is (most likely) true. Someone needs to do the "right" thing and just put a bullet in the dudes head. cheap and simple and let the afterlife deal with him. Or let those who are effected...hasta

Gonna have to disagree with you on that, Craig. He also had a gas mask on, those aren't bulletproof. I carry in the theater everytime I go.

I agree, I loved visiting Colorado so much that i've considered the possibility of moving there if things ever go south at work.

drawing on someone who is wearing a gas mask and can breathe in that haze, when you can barely breathe or see would put you at a huge disadvantage. even an expert military shooter would struggle in those conditions...there are 2 schools of thought on the situation. go down fighting, possibly risking those around you when a spray of bullets comes your way after you squeeze off one unsuccessful shot, or hunker down pull those around you down and if you have a gun, draw it and protect. personally a head shot from a distance with tear gas in your eyes makes you a sitting duck against someone that heavily armed and protected. Personally, I cant really say what I would do and I hope to god i never have to make that choice. such a bad deal...it makes me sick just thinking about it.

A bullet proof vest isn't going to keep a shooter shooting like a force field protecting him. 3 pistols sending rounds his way would have hit his arms, lower torso, legs, head....

I heard on the news that he was wearing body armor over his legs and groin as well.

it would have forced the barrel of his weapon down at a minimum.... if not a retreat.

This.

That's your best bet. Unless you're extremely accustomed to being on the other end of a firearm, taking fire is going to seriously dampen your morale and your willingness to stick around and continue the attack. You just better hope he does retreat, otherwise you're pretty screwed.

On a side note, this is why my carry weapon of choice is a Five-seven.

And Xwhatever on the why CO thing :dunno:

If said carrying person was well trained, then there would have been a very good chance. Die fighting, or just die. You decide.

I may not kill him. But a few rounds in the head is really gonna get your attention and.quickly.

He also had a gas mask on, those aren't bulletproof. I carry in the theater everytime I go.

You guys play way too many video games if you think you can pull off a head shot in a dark theater while taking AK fire :rolleyes:

Oh yea, and while being gassed.

What? You agree with Troy but not me? The head the knee ANYWHERE on him is gonna get his attention. :dunno:

I'm not sure how effective a bunch of CCW holders would have been, but I do wish they would've just put a bullet in his head. The thing that angers me most about this is the fact that now "WE" the law-abiding tax payers will have to pay to feed and house this SOB for the rest of his life. Hell, let me do it. I'll provide the weapon and ammo.

I've been in the Army for over a decade and I'm not sure how effective I would've been in that kind of scenario. Sitting back, enjoying a movie and then oout of nowhere tear gas and bullets come flying at me? Thats a tough situation to defend yourself in, especially with it being a dark theater. That said, assuming I survived those precious few seconds needed to get my bearings that guy would've definitely started takking some rounds. Vest or no vest taking a shots to the chest are going to jack you up. As previously stated, it would at the very least distract him and cause him to reconsider wtf he was doing.

I've been puzzling over my coffee on this tragedy this morning, and trying to figure out the Colorado demographic question -- Colorado is roughly 75% non-natvies, and those folks come from literally all over the nation from a multitude of different backgrounds, ethnicities, income brackets, etc. Colorado is roughly 50/50 democrat/republican, and generally neither party is particularly radical (as say opposed to California democrats, or southern republicans)... just about as "purple" a state as is possible. Colorado is routinely ranked as one of the fittest and healthiest populations in the nation, both mentally and physically. Colorado's public school system -- while I am not a fan -- is generally ranked very near the top nationwide in both performance and college admission, though underfunded compared to other underperforming states...

Yet, this marks at least the 3rd mass random shooting in Colorado in less than 15 years (Columbine, Baily...) -- why Colorado? I don't have an answer, other than glib ones, I'm really curious...

Arguments can certainly be made regarding whether armed movie goers would have prevented this scope of killing -- and I am always a believer that an armed society is a polite society -- but Jim is right that it is a difficult shooting scenario for all but the best trained and further tragedy could have ensued, plus the nutbag was prepared and armored, making it that much more difficult. Crazys are out there no matter what, but man it sucks to continue to be so close to the crazyness...
That's well put, I didn't know you was so deep.
Like xj-grin said why Colorado? I wish I knew the answer here. Columbine, Baily, New Life Church and now this. Way to many mass shootings. People always ask me why I carry and they think I am just paranoid. Well this is why. I won't go down without a fight. I will give up my belonging's and money but I will not give up my life.
Begs the question... Why have any area's with "gun free zones".

Why do you guys keep failing to mention Granby?

No one was killed in Granby...... Marvin Heemeyer never fired a shot even though he rigged that dozer with 3 rifles. That was nothing but a property damage incident with a suicide at the end.

Sure woulda been cool if that dozer hadn't gotten stuck when it did..... They were talking about using an air strike/missile.....:thumbup:

There's a big difference between the paper ten ring and a human target that's firing in your direction.
Very true the paper was innocent where as the fawker shootin at me just done pissed me off!!!

What? You agree with Troy but not me? The head the knee ANYWHERE on him is gonna get his attention. :dunno:

Lol, that's because "Troy" qualified his first statement with his second statement :)

Darkness, a seemingly safe environment where your guard is down, all of your attention is focused on the screen, not to mention your eyes trying to adapt from a bright screen to the darkness surrounding it, innocent's everywhere, tear gas further affecting your vision and ability to breathe, all while being pinned down by very serious gunfire.

Honestly, outside of the absurd (which many would argue that this situation indeed is), I don't know if I can think of a worse active shooter situation for a CCW holder. It just sucks and is scary to know that these things can and do happen :mad:

Im.not saying Im rambo and was gonna drop the guy in one shot ot would have even been capable of getting.one off. too many things going.on that some of us probably aren't considering.

Im saying even.with a 9mm.... and his vest... a few shots would have drastically slowed his pace.

I heard on the news that he was wearing body armor over his legs and groin as well.

This.

That's your best bet. Unless you're extremely accustomed to being on the other end of a firearm, taking fire is going to seriously dampen your morale and your willingness to stick around and continue the attack. You just better hope he does retreat, otherwise you're pretty screwed.

On a side note, this is why my carry weapon of choice is a Five-seven.

And Xwhatever on the why CO thing :dunno:

You guys play way too many video games if you think you can pull off a head shot in a dark theater while taking AK fire :rolleyes:

Oh yea, and while being gassed.

Man, you're just an expert on everything aren't you? All i'm saying is I will not sit idly by in a situation like that. I'm going to be scared shitless no doubt but innocent people getting killed would make me at least want to try and neutralize the suspect. I hope to god I am never in that situation. All we can do now is keep the families in our thoughts, what has been done has been done.

I said this on another forum:

If any member of my family is threatened my nature is to defend them by any means necessary. If it means simply covering them with my body until we figure something else out or they are safe, so be it. And if having a firearm with me (and using it if needed) increases the probability of being able to protect them by even a couple percent I'll take it every time.

I said this on another forum:

If any member of my family is threatened my nature is to defend them by any means necessary. If it means simply covering them with my body until we figure something else out or they are safe, so be it. And if having a firearm with me (and using it if needed) increases the probability of being able to protect them by even a couple percent I'll take it every time.

Well said! :yelclap:

Im.not saying Im rambo and was gonna drop the guy in one shot ot would have even been capable of getting.one off. too many things going.on that some of us probably aren't considering.

Im saying even.with a 9mm.... and his vest... a few shots would have drastically slowed his pace.

Saw this on the news tonight:
Holmes was wearing "full ballistic gear," including a helmet, vest, throat protector, gas mask and black tactical gloves

Read more: Bodies of dead removed from Aurora theater; 12 killed, 58 wounded - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...le-shot-at-aurora-movie-theater#ixzz21DnZncWT
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

And another site mentioned leg and groin protection.

Actually dropping this guy would have been incredibly hard. Slowing him down and and drawing fire, definitely possible.

Back