• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Degree Shim question for 3.5 Lift with SYE... Need Help PLEASE

Hammered

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have the Jeep ready to install the SYE and 8.25. I have the Front XJ Driveshaft. (97 Sport With 3.5 lift) - NOW ALL I NEED is to shim the axle so the Pinion is in line with the DS Right?

I called Quadratec and 4WD ...one said 6* one said 2*... I'm just looking for what is BEST for My application. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

:viking:

For the best fit, you need to measure the angle of the output shaft of the transfer case and the pinion yoke. You want the pinion yoke to be 2-3 degrees below the angle of the output shaft. There is no way to know for sure what shims you need without measuring your angles.

Like Kunaji says, it's somewhat trial and error.
If your going to a double-Cardin (DC) type rear shaft, the rear pinion needs a lot of rotation, over stock, to get you properly aligned. I'd guess you'll need arround 6*--possibly more; but with only a 3.5in lift, it's hard for me to guess.
The correct why to get the right angle, when changing to a DC shaft, is to cut the rear spring pads loose, rotate the the whole Assembly to get the rear pinion in line with the shaft, and re-weld (replace) the spring pads; However, with only 3.5in of lift, the shims will probably be OK. But if your like the rest of us, you'll soon discover your lift is inadiquate, increasing it to 5-6 inches. At that point, I would definitely recommend the "cut, and rotate" approach; too many shims is asking for trouble.

I'm running the RE 3.5" lift with 1" lift shackles and coil spacers. I also have an RE hack-n-tap SYE and I'm using 4* shims. 6* is going to be too much.

6* will prob be too much esp if you used any sort of lift shackle. 6 wil prob put you even or over, and you want to be under by 2-3.4 is a good place to start around 3.5" of lift. if you have any lift shackle id go 2 or maybe even none at all

ok, I cancelled my order for the 6 (QUADRATEC suggested the 6) and got 4s on the way. 4wd.com was the place I now ordered from. I'm thinking I should have asked here first BECAUSE... I ordered a 8.25 U Bolt kit and the 4* shims. With shipping to PA from Ohio the total was $75. I almost fell over. Local NAPA did not carry U bolts. I now realize I neede to go to a spring place. Would have been cheaper I believe. I did browse the Junk yard for the bolts but I'd rather have new.

The shims are steel, I'm thinking next time I'll just make em myself. (Machine shop at work)

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like alot of money for these minor things. At least I'm getting the right thing so I feel content.

Last edited:
Back