• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death wobble nightmare

IdahoEagle said:
If the joint is on the tight side on one side, it can be a binding influence. it has a slight angle to it at all times. If it has too much tension on one side, it can cause it to oscillate when it is put just a little more off center when it hits a bump.

well my issues with DW were on axle joints that were OEM and in good condition and well broken in 80thousand miles,

and as i mentioned before since adjusting to the 1/4" toe-in setting i've not had any death wobble & i've seriously tried to make it DW to test it,

oh and with the same axle U-joints also..

ok i did complain immediately but becuz im a teenager i dont know what im talkin about and they just keep blamin it on aother things and wont fix it and they do nothin but make things worse.

ok so i checked the track bar and its solid. i checked the steering stabilizer and its in good shape and not worn out. i checked the frame mount and its bolts r so tight that i couldnt get them off with and impact wrench so it seems to be in good shape. and i had a buddy turn the wheel while i examined everything and i didnt see anything unusual. so im guessin that its that axle shaft u-joint that i had replaced but i looked at it and it looks alright but i dont know what else it could be. if anyone has any other ideas let me know

dude, jack your jeep up, take the arms off, take the track-bar off, examins ALL bushings. re-install everything then jack it up high enough that the whole front end hangs (using some kind of raiser under jackstands if necessary) and shake the axle. I like to disconnect shocks to allow it to hang freely. Re-torque to spec. There is really only one reason for DW... err a few... track bar in poor condition (bushing or otherwise) or the 4-like geometry is off (and/or not torqued). if it al lines up and bushings are good, you're good.

well i think the nightmare is over. so it turns out that my hig pressure power steering hose that i had replaced a few months ago had a loose fitting that prgressively became worse until last night power steering fluid started pooring out everywhere. anyway i tightend it down and filled the pump back up with fluid and havent seen any death wobble since so i think that was my problem

Have you put it in 4-low lately? That may have been your actual fix. I agree with Idaho Eagle. I have had plenty of trucks come in with rusted up ujoints, usually on vehicles with lockout hubs that are kept disengaged. Drive them with the hubs locked in and you're all over the road with the wheel bouncing side to side, but not into DW.

Do the same thing on a typical shaky suspension XJ and you're in for a ride.
The shop that installed them may have had the yokes bend inward while removing the old joints. The new ujoints can install tight and in a bind which is relieved w/ a BFH. A good jolt in 4-low can release the bind.
They could have also dropped a roller and jammed it back together but the problem wouldn't have disappeared by itself.

Anyway, problems caused by repairs should be immediately addressed by the shop.

Back