• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

death wobble at 40mph!!!

rockhard4x4

NAXJA Forum User
so the truck was fine driving down rt 55, even had her up to 70 mph goin downhill

did some wheeling, beat on it a bit, but nothing crazy

the sway bar end like bolt (knuckle to end link) some how got loose and lost the nut / bushing (im guessing from over flexing and causing stress on it

now all of a sudden it has horrible death wobble at about 40mph! but it was perfectly fine before going wheeling!

but a new nut on and attached the end link, still HORRIBLE HORRIBLE death wobble

wtf happen? is it possible this could happen from bad balljoints and tre's that decided to "go" while out wheeling?

I doesnt tke much to get the wobble if you have somewhat large tires.A slightly worn bushing that you pushed past the threshhold may cause it,something bent..?Mine started one day after 2 yrs of hard wheeling(I run 36" swampers.Put on the 31"s no wobble)wouldnt stop till I replaced every bushing in the front end.

btw, i have checked the track bar, its fine, nothing seems loose, tie rod ends have some play, also the other sway bar bracket link was loose, gonna tighten it up and see how it is

btw, i have checked the track bar, its fine, nothing seems loose, tie rod ends have some play, also the other sway bar bracket link was loose, gonna tighten it up and see how it is

TRE's is probably a good place to start if they have some play. put it up on stands and check everything

FOUND IT!

the slip part of the front driveshaft, were each half goes into eachother, very loose, can i just shoot some grease into the zerk or do i need a new drive shaft?

You need a new shaft.
The shaft will not give you death wobble though, it will only cause vibrations.

yeah... something else is not good. pull the drive shaft and see if it still happens. $5 says you still have DW.

damn, you're lucky. that means it wasn't true DW haha... i can't imagine a shaft causing that... all they can cause is a little shimmy.

I see no possible way a driveshaft, that gives power to the differential, being able to cause a rapid and violent back and forth oscillation of the tires. They are completely different systems, and are unrelated.

DW is "holy crap, i nearly went off the road and no matter what i did nothing made a difference other than brakes"

ask me how i know :doh:

Back