• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death wobble after heim steering install

Jays siik xj

NAXJA Forum User
Just replaced my stock steering on my XJ with 3/4" heim steering and now im having major death wobble @ 35mph. Im Running upper and lower Adj. short arms, RE 4.5 coils with a 1.5 in spacer, custom track bar, and monotube shocks on 33s... Prior to installing my steering I had no death wobble whatsoever.

What Ive done so far:
Tightened up all the bolts for everything on my front end, had the tires balanced, adjusted toe, and I believe that's it... Ball joints have no play and the hubs are still in good shape.
Im not running a steering stabilizer and am running the tie rod under the spindles and the drag link over the pass and under the pitman arm which is a ZJ drop pitman arm.

Anything else Im missing?

toss some frontal pictures of your steering links, but sounds to me like you may have messed some of the angle up. What's your toe setting at?

So you said you replaced stock steering, so the trackbar was in the stock location. same with drag link. they were same length and parrallel before the swap.

So did you stack the hiems on top of each other on the pass side knuckle? What axle a dana 30? If so, your drag link and track bar probably are not the same length if you ran the drag link over the knuckle and still have the trackbar at the stock location. Grab a trackbar mount from ruffstuff or build one and get your track bar and drag link parrallel and close to same length.

Doing that today... I dont know how I missed That... I have a drop bracket on the frame side... Im relocating my new track bar I made last night to the top of the axle. Hopefully that helps.

Back