• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death Wobble: A 21 month saga. FIXED!

The welds are not pretty, but if you look a the picture I posted on 1/12/14 when I proclaimed the DW fixed you will notice that there has been a section of channel welded over the outside of the track bar bracket. The purpose of this was to add section thickness and try to prevent the upper part of the track bar bracket from deflecting. Since I did this while plating the frame (had to have the axle and springs out to get it on) I am not sure how much it helped. The track bar bracket flex was pretty obvious so I had to do something to try and stiffen it up. Of course that flex may also have been due to the broken ear on the track bar bracket (see photo Oct 29 2013) which let the bracket slide around on the frame. So much was wrong I am stunned it drove so well for so long.

John

So much was wrong I am stunned it drove so well for so long.

John

Not to cause trouble, but I think this is a testament to the quality and stability that OEMs build in to their vehicles. Some vehicles more than others. I have to wonder how much we sacrifice system stability and resilience when we start throwing hard parts, steeper angles, larger tires, etc onto a rig.

Back