• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dealer Recommendations - Which of these can I do myself?

zeke2230 said:
2000 with 89K just in for a coil strip replacement. Service guys recommended some repairs. Here's their list with prices:

90K service with Plugs - $335

Induction Service - carbon buildup? - $175

Replace Steering Stabilizer - $165

Front Balljoints - $780

Front Axle U-Joints - $405

Coolant Flush - $110

Flushing the coolant and Steering Stab seem the most user friendly - Do the others qualify and can I keep some of my own money in my pocket doing it?

First off the real question to be asked, Does you XJ really have all these part that are bad or are they the typical dealer computer generated BS *recomended* items?

90K service with Plugs - $335 Probably not a bad idea to do, but find out what it involves and do it yourself. Most likely just lube and oil jobs with spark plugs.

Induction Service - carbon buildup? - $175 No way! Not unless it won't pass a smog test and has a leaning out condition. Total scam!

Replace Steering Stabilizer - $165 No way is this need at this time!

Front Balljoints - $780 Again no way, unless he shows you one is bad. I doubt one is with that few miles.

Front Axle U-Joints - $405 Again no way! Unless you've wheeled it hard there is no need to mess with these until they are broken or truly worn out, thousand of miles from 89k

Coolant Flush - $110 probably not a bad idea at this milage but again do it yourself.

Just a few opinions of mine for you. HTH, Now I will tke all these back if they are things that are *found to be damaged or worn out* but they stick if they are just the typical dealer rip off *recommended*.

mark

On the ball joints.... I doubt they are bad but if they are here's what I do.... Just yank the knuckles take them to a local owned operated shop and have them press the old ones out and the new ones in. Usually the ball joints should be about 30 if you buy them yourself, 40 or so if the shop supplys them so the whole deal should cost 160 or so for parts and 1 hr labor for the R&R so you'd save yourself $550 on that alone. Most local guys should be more than happy to do a quick easy job like that and pocket 100 bucks for less than 1 hrs work.
As I look at your list more... geesh those guys are seriously wanting to bill you over and over for labor that would be already being done to do other things on the list... I'd run away and fast from that place.
Mike B.

1986xj said:
As I look at your list more... geesh those guys are seriously wanting to bill you over and over for labor that would be already being done to do other things on the list... I'd run away and fast from that place.
Mike B.

Good point! If you do a ball joint, you've done all the labor involved in getting the axle out and back in for the U-joint job. An honest but ambitious shop will tell you exactly that, too, because they can use the nearly-free labor as a sales pitch to suggest you do a less-urgent job while they're at it.

DANM!!!!!
Get your rig out here to SoCal ASAP and I'll give you 50% off on everything and still make 400% profit.
Craig

PS: You DO NOT need half that stuff. Wait 50k and then look at the machanicals. $3.95 for TB Cleaner. Please get a Chiltons or Hayes.
These rigs are Really Easy to work on. Save the $1000 and come to sunny SoCal for the winter.

zeke2230 said:
Just want to say thanks for all the input, insight, and mostly the encouragement to just do it. I don't mind pulling stuff apart, but, some of the projects will need to wait until spring the way the weather's going in Mass right now... Pats v. Titans is projected at -15 degrees - a little nasty for trying to hold on to metal.

Any recommendations on plugs? I'm only getting about 17.5 mpg - with a stock engine... seems I did about the same on my 88XJ with 200k...

Hoping the induction cleaning and plugs will improve that condition.

Hey I just looked and your profile says you're an officer in the Army.... I know there used to be what they called hobby shops on the bases with bays that had lifts and tools (maybe even a press) and all that. Have they done away with that? Sure would be nice, being an officer and all that you might even be able to "volunteer" some assistance from a mechanic from the motor pool :patriot:
Mike B.

Yeah, they actually do have bays with lifts - $3/hr - which is why I wanted to check on the feasability of doing the jobs myself. I'd rather get dirty and learn the systems than pay through the nose.

Defending free enterprise is one thing - Making someone else rich because I didn't want to learn it myself is stupid...

zeke2230 said:
Yeah, they actually do have bays with lifts - $3/hr - which is why I wanted to check on the feasability of doing the jobs myself. I'd rather get dirty and learn the systems than pay through the nose.

Defending free enterprise is one thing - Making someone else rich because I didn't want to learn it myself is stupid...

Im in the marines, and we have hobby shops WITH EVERYTHING Welders Plasma cutters you name it, all free to use unless you want a lift then its 3 dollars an hour, and I know here at miramar we have a press, take advantage of it!! :lecture:

Lucas

Sir Fairnuff said:
DANM!!!!!
Get your rig out here to SoCal ASAP and I'll give you 50% off on everything and still make 400% profit.
Craig

PS: You DO NOT need half that stuff. Wait 50k and then look at the machanicals. $3.95 for TB Cleaner. Please get a Chiltons or Hayes.
These rigs are Really Easy to work on. Save the $1000 and come to sunny SoCal for the winter.

SoCal? You guys think winter is below 70. Can't do it - no snow, no go. But I will pick up a Chiltons this weekend. How much work is really dictated by the computer system in the newer rigs? My old 88XJ was simple to work on... or maybe I'm just getting older....

For the record, my steering stabilizer started leaking at about 85,000 miles on my 94. So I guess that's not out of the realm of possibility. Plugs, wires, and Throttle body cleaning are things you can definitely do yourself, I personally haven't tried messing with any of the steering gear since I snapped off a bolt for the front sway bar doing my lift. Just to offer a worst case scenario, my XJ has 101,000 miles on it. I bought it used with around 50,000 miles on it. Since then I have replaced the engine(rod bearing), front axle seals(leaking), and last week after bouncing off a curb my rear U-joint started making noise. I run synthetic oil, lube the chassis twice a year, and flush the coolant and tranny fluid every 2 years. The worst thing I've ever done to it is tow a trailer and pull a few people out of a ditch. Everybody out there with an XJ that has gone upwards of 150,000 miles without major mechanical issues give thanks, my jeep is aging like 60's rock star.

Con artists, every last one of them....Thats why they call it the STEALERSHIP!!! :skull2: :skull2: :skull2:

Can you tell I've had negative experiences at the dealership?? I'd say, if you don't feel comfortable doing this work yourself, find a good, honest mechanic to give you an honest opinion. :thumbup:

XJbone said:
Con artists, every last one of them....Thats why they call it the STEALERSHIP!!! :skull2: :skull2: :skull2:

Can you tell I've had negative experiences at the dealership?? I'd say, if you don't feel comfortable doing this work yourself, find a good, honest mechanic to give you an honest opinion. :thumbup:

In Minnesota the "dealer" was refered to as "Satan" :firedevil

Definitely upsell going on. To not hijack the rest of this post I will stick up for dealership mechanics in the non-tech forum if your interested.
Tom

zeke2230 said:
2000 with 89K just in for a coil strip replacement. Service guys recommended some repairs. Here's their list with prices:

90K service with Plugs - $335

Induction Service - carbon buildup? - $175

Replace Steering Stabilizer - $165

Front Balljoints - $780

Front Axle U-Joints - $405

Coolant Flush - $110

Flushing the coolant and Steering Stab seem the most user friendly - Do the others qualify and can I keep some of my own money in my pocket doing it?

If you want to check out your ball joints, jack up the front of the Jeep, grap the tire, and see if there is any top to bottom play. If not, then they are good.
Mike Harris

tireroastin93XJ said:
If you want to check out your ball joints, jack up the front of the Jeep, grap the tire, and see if there is any top to bottom play. If not, then they are good.
Mike Harris

Just what I needed. A simple test I can do and check their veracity. Thx.

Back