• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dealer claims carbon buildup

WELSCHJ said:
to pay $89 for the diagnostics

Man, good thing you didnt let them do that valve job, if it costs 89 dollars to pull a check engine code, just imagine how much a valve job would be at the dealership!!!!!!

Yeah, it would have been an obscene number. As i mentioned, only wound up at the dealership because of some unusual circumstances. But the $40 or so dollars they wanted for the De Carb wasn't all that awful since i had to leave the car there anyway.
A few years ago, my son had the car out of state and got a code/light which turned out to be bad O2 sensor-the place he went to also charged around $80 or so for the diagnostics--so while a lot of money not that outrageous compared to others we have seen.

Anyway, appears that we are back in business for now!

WELSCHJ said:
Yeah, it would have been an obscene number. As i mentioned, only wound up at the dealership because of some unusual circumstances. But the $40 or so dollars they wanted for the De Carb wasn't all that awful since i had to leave the car there anyway.
A few years ago, my son had the car out of state and got a code/light which turned out to be bad O2 sensor-the place he went to also charged around $80 or so for the diagnostics--so while a lot of money not that outrageous compared to others we have seen.

Anyway, appears that we are back in business for now!

Before anyone gets carzy I meant to say vehicle/truck!!!!

Well, all good things must end, I suppose. After approx 6 weeks and about 3000 miles the Check Engine Light came back on today-my son was traveling on the highway when it came on---as in the past, no symptoms, engine running fine, Gas mileage quite decent, etc.

When pulling the codes with the key turn method again got 12 and good old 43. Actually, surprised that 12 would come up-the engine has probably gone through 3-500 start cycles without the battery being disconeected...but obviously that is not my main concern. So, assuming "carbon buildup" was only a temp fix (although it did last long) and have done rotor, plugs, wires, cap, CKS (the one on the trans housing)..any other thoughts??

I do not know about your year, but my '01 needed a little piece of white, insulated, wire-loom like stuff on the #3 injector due to the hot restart issue, and the mechanic recommended I run the carbon cleaner (I used SeaFoam) through it as well. My back window and lift gate looked like I'd been burning garbage right behind the beast for a week, but it really flushed some sh*t out! Ran really great on that tank O'gas. I'm going to wait a while and run another can through the tank before winter. I suspect I may have some moisture or other crap in the gas tank that exacerbates misfires when I'm running on the last 1/4 tank. CEL hasn't shown up again.

Again, YMMV.

Can we all stop badmouthing dealers/technicians here please? If you knew what was wrong and how to fix it, you'd do it yourself.
If cleaning out carbon was the repair (and nothing else) quoted how much time do you think the technician spent with it?
The 96 will not need the insulator like the 01. The injectors and intake are different.
There are many things that can cause misfire codes. However, its hard enough to diagnose it with the vehicle in front of you and not through your computer screen.
-Aaron
BTW, each time I see "CEL" I can't remember you actually mean MIL.

Not sure I am "bashing" anyone...just looking for some help. And, no kidding, obviously if I knew how to fix the problem I would do it and be posting the answer, as opposed to asking for help???

If nothing can be solved via computer screen, then what is the purpose of this forum-insn't to attempt to excahnge possible solutions? And by the way, I said "check engine light" not "CEL" because to you and a few others on here that really is such a critical issue!

Everytime I see "check engine light" it reminds me of a funny story. My wife bought a 1980 Monte Carlo when the computer stuff was pretty new on cars, the check engine light came on and she pulled over lifted the hood and said "yup, its there" what the hell am I suppose to do now.

I worked for a dealer and most of them are shooting in the dark nowadays because everything is computer controlled and if the computer can't diagnose the vehicle, they have to rely on the fixes others have found (basically what everyone does here too)
12 error code means there is a high chance that something caused and extreme power drop (lights left on, jumps starting another very dead car, etc) may have triggered it, BUT it can also be loose or corroded connections (if you pull the cable off, and wipe your finger through the inside and get a grey pasty looking stuff on your finger, that is lead oxide which, unlike lead, is a VERY poor power conduction agent. Clean, dry, shiny metal to metal contact at the battery posts, and power cables that aren't going green inside from corrosion are important.
The main ground connection at the block is infamous for getting "silent" corrosion between it, the bolt and the block which will flex and disconnect while you are driving at certain torque points. I've also had the stock ground cable pull loose from the cable lug on the block and leave just the tiny battery to fender ground lead to do all the work. You would NOT believe how many people will replace their alternator and battery as well as other parts trying to cure a migrating problem without taking the time to diagnose. I have bought quite a few for cheap after offering to repair it for a reasonable fee {they passed, citing "professionals" that couldn't find the trouble, so how could I? 30 years as a mechanic is how} and fixed this minor issue then resold for a decent price.
Last, but certainly not least, a battery with broken internal plates will give this error as well as work sometimes, but not always.

Thanks Carnuck...
I will check this out..did replace battery and negative cable recently (6 months) no doubt some of these other suggestios should be checked. As I said the code 12 isn't as concerning to me as the 43, but sometimes one problem fixed gets you on the road to fixing another!

Agree, the computer databases (including this one) are very valuable!

Back