• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dead jeep, need help please

The Park-Lock cable adjustment is at the shifter. I think you will be ok once it is reattached and the ignition switch adjusted.

If not, I can photograph the adjustment diagram but can't post it or a link here--violation of forum rules.

If you need the adjustment procedure and the pictures send me a PM and we can set up an email exchange.

That nut is likely the one that holds the ignition switch and the bracket that supports the interlock cable that runs over to the shifter. As I recall there are two attachments for the switch -- one is a screw at the top and the other a screw/stud combination that screws in to hold the switch and then a nut to hold the interlock cable bracket.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

If the switch has moved. you may have to adjust it slightly up or down. The starter contacts will not engage if the switch is out of adjustment. Note that there is only a tiny bit of adjustment but too much one way or the other will prevent the starter or accessory position from working. If only the nut came off, hopefully you will only have to replace it along with the bracket.

UGH FINALLY! all my problems were because of that one lil nut fell off. I got enough room to get it back on, had tighten, adjust it so the gear selector trigger worked, and put the column back up loosely. Turned the key a few times and still the same thing. Messed with the rod for the ignition for a bit and turn the key back and forth. Finally it turned back for ACC and forward to CRANK! I'm so happy!! :wave1: thanks for the pm's and help fellas!! couldnt have done it without this forum. learn a lil more for my first domestic and first Jeep.

Now onto the first lift!

have you tried starting it in neutral sometimes the neutral safety switch loosens up and needs adjusting. if it starts in neutral then it is that switch

have you tried starting it in neutral sometimes the neutral safety switch loosens up and needs adjusting. if it starts in neutral then it is that switch

Hi!

Did you notice that the last entry before yours was March of 2009?

Don't forget to check the dates in a thread. It is Ok to bring back a thread if you have a similar problem rather than starting a new thread.

PS--welcome to NAXJA.

Joe, could you email an image of that if you still have it? My email is mikeb3485 at gmail dot com.

I have a '92 4.0 auto. 246,xxx miles. It's a Limited model so it has all the bells and whistles. A few weeks ago, I replaced the water pump and t-stat. While I was at it, I replaced the resistor pack because my blower motor was squealing like a stuck pig and only worked on the 4th setting. When I replaced the resistor pack it worked for a second and then blew. So that's when I replaced the motor and a second resistor pack and it was all good. I had some discussion on one of the threads about that with some of you. I pulled the lower trim cover off the dash and replaced some courtesy light bulbs that had blown and I tucked some wires from my CB that have been hanging low for a few years. I also pulled the panel out of the dash that has the temperature slider and heat/ac, etc. slider because I replace a bulb in there too. All was good.

A couple days later, I drove to the Jeep junkyard to pick up a front sway bar. I pulled mine years ago and now that I have a baby I want to put one back up front at least. They wanted too much for it so I said no thanks and left. Only the Jeep was dead. They sold me new (junkyard) starter (for what I was expecting to spend on the sway bar) and it fired up and I drove home. A couple days later, it was dead again. I tried testing the starter and I wasn't so sure of my findings so I took it to NAPA to get tested. They guy there fumbled with it and told me it was bad. He didn't look like he knew what hew was doing but I had a 30 day warranty so I went back to the junkyard. They gave me another starter and I took it home and put it in. Again it fired right up. then the next day the Jeep was dead again. I tried the wiggle of the shift lever that I read about and that doesn't work. Also, it won't start in P or N. I think that means my NSS is good but I'm not quite sure.

I also had my battery tested at NAPA and they said it was good. I also checked it with my own meter and it looks good. I already cleaned my battery cables as was suggested in another thread and checked all of my grounds and they all seem to be good. The battery is a few months old and I replaced the battery cable ends a couple years ago. I suspect that I screwed something up under the dash that day because that's the only thing that's really changed. I also suspect the guy at NAPA didn't know what he was doing and I probably replaced a good starter. What do you guys think?

Joe, could you email an image of that if you still have it? My email is mikeb3485 at gmail dot com.

I have a '92 4.0 auto. 246,xxx miles. It's a Limited model so it has all the bells and whistles. A few weeks ago, I replaced the water pump and t-stat. While I was at it, I replaced the resistor pack because my blower motor was squealing like a stuck pig and only worked on the 4th setting. When I replaced the resistor pack it worked for a second and then blew. So that's when I replaced the motor and a second resistor pack and it was all good. I had some discussion on one of the threads about that with some of you. I pulled the lower trim cover off the dash and replaced some courtesy light bulbs that had blown and I tucked some wires from my CB that have been hanging low for a few years. I also pulled the panel out of the dash that has the temperature slider and heat/ac, etc. slider because I replace a bulb in there too. All was good.

A couple days later, I drove to the Jeep junkyard to pick up a front sway bar. I pulled mine years ago and now that I have a baby I want to put one back up front at least. They wanted too much for it so I said no thanks and left. Only the Jeep was dead. They sold me new (junkyard) starter (for what I was expecting to spend on the sway bar) and it fired up and I drove home. A couple days later, it was dead again. I tried testing the starter and I wasn't so sure of my findings so I took it to NAPA to get tested. They guy there fumbled with it and told me it was bad. He didn't look like he knew what hew was doing but I had a 30 day warranty so I went back to the junkyard. They gave me another starter and I took it home and put it in. Again it fired right up. then the next day the Jeep was dead again. I tried the wiggle of the shift lever that I read about and that doesn't work. Also, it won't start in P or N. I think that means my NSS is good but I'm not quite sure.

I also had my battery tested at NAPA and they said it was good. I also checked it with my own meter and it looks good. I already cleaned my battery cables as was suggested in another thread and checked all of my grounds and they all seem to be good. The battery is a few months old and I replaced the battery cable ends a couple years ago. I suspect that I screwed something up under the dash that day because that's the only thing that's really changed. I also suspect the guy at NAPA didn't know what he was doing and I probably replaced a good starter. What do you guys think?

Sent you an email.

Back