• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DEAD 1992 XJ

bigredrangerxlt

NAXJA Forum User
stock 1992 cherokee sport auto with 4.0 I6, went 4 wheeling too deep in creek engine shut down was pulled out of the hole jeep started again but died as soon as I started reversing.....all fuses are fine, all relays are fine assuming there is only one fuel pump fuse, pulled fuel tank and jumped fuel pump because it doesnt turn on when key is on (all other electronics do). engine rotates but won't start, no fuel pressure at shrader valve...fuel pump worked fine when jumped...changed computer didnt do anythign, checked dc voltage cefore coil and my volt meter showed ther ewas voltage and checked after coil volt meter showed voltage...may have checked wrong not sure on the setting the meter should have been on... I am thinking it is electrical but have no idea where to go from here any help would be great..thanks

engine shut off bc electronics got wet, or shut off because you sucked in water?

How did you check the relay? Also, did you actually check for power at the relay input, or just visually check the fuze?

You may also want to make sure there's a "trip" signal making it to the relay as well.

I have a 1991FSM (1992 should be similar,) and I can help you sort out wiring this after-noon if you like, and you don't mind longish response times.

5-90

THe CPS probably got contaminated with mud so you could try taking it out and cleaning it. You can also spray the wiring harness connector with contact spray and see if that improves things.

Back