• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dave Cole goes above and beyond to help save the hammers!

GrimmJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I read this on the Ultra4racing.com site today:

King of the Hammers Promoter Dave Cole Stuns Racers in an Effort to Save the Hammers

Traditionally, the Griffin King of the Hammers has been limited to a field of 100 racers; twenty of whom gain entry into the race by competing in a Last Chance Qualifying (LCQ) race that happens in the days prior to the King of the Hammers. More than 70 drivers competed for one of the 20 remaining spots. After the completion of today's qualifying rounds, both drivers and spectators waited anxiously for news of which teams would move on to the main race and which teams would be packing up their vehicles to start their long journey home.

Hammerking Founder, Dave Cole, stunned the audience by announcing that all 70 drivers could compete in the main event and that proceeds from the additional drivers would go directly towards the fight to keep the Johnson Valley OHV area open. The future of Johnson Valley has been uncertain since the US Marine Corps made a proposal to expand the 29 Palms Marine Base into most of the area known to OHV enthusiasts as "The Hammers." The 188,000 acre OHV area is the largest in the country and comprises half of the public lands used for OHV recreation throughout the entire state of California. “The correlation between land use and these racers we are including could not be more appropriate,” Cole commented. “These are honest, hardworking people who come to Johnson Valley throughout the year not only to race, but for recreation as well.”

Just thought I'd post up in case anyone wasn't following what was going on with the KOH race so far.

I also just hear over the live feed that Masterpull is donating proceeds from their new land-use promotion green winch ropes to help save JV as well.

http://www.masterpull.com/cpage.cfm?cpid=521

As someone who personally uses this area I'd like to send a HUGE thanks to everyone helping to save my favorite wheeling spot.

:cheers:

Back