• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DASH / RADIO ACCESS SECRET

RichP said:
As far as I know from other jeep owner from 04-07 the BT never worked in Chrysler vehicles. A friend of mine has an 07 wrangler and we [me] spent about 4 hours trying to get it to pair with a variety of cell phones with no success. Did your wifes ever work ?

Yup. worked great. As a matter of fact, that is what got us into Bluetooth. We got the van, not knowing anything about Bluetooth. I soon aquired a phone (treo650) that came with Bluetooth. So, one night, I headed down to the garage to tinker....and got it working easily. I was so impressed with it, and thought about how useful it could be for my wife, with two little kids, and phone in diaper bag maybe two rows back....I went out and upgraded her phone to a Bluetooth cable model that weekend. We've been hooked ever since. No more wires hanging out of my ear...or searching for phone when it rings. The cars just answer, and we say Hello...It's been terribly convenient (of course I do have to talk LOUDER in the XJ than the van). Until about 3 weeks ago, the Town and Country has worked flawlessly.

RichP said:
As far as I know from other jeep owner from 04-07 the BT never worked in Chrysler vehicles. A friend of mine has an 07 wrangler and we [me] spent about 4 hours trying to get it to pair with a variety of cell phones with no success. Did your wifes ever work ?
Do be aware...the first stereo I put into my XJ- I think Clarion- would not pair with my Treo....it paired with every installer in the shops' phones...just not mine! It also had a separate mic, which sounded clearer, but was one more wire to install... I like the all in one unit of the Sony...I'll just talk louder.....:looney:

ChuckstrPT said:
Speaking of Bluetooth....so the wife's 05 Town and Country family van's bluetooth reciever has gone out...according to the stealership....4-500 bones to fix it... I can get a nice radio for 500 bucks. Problem is, the whole system is intergrated...Radio, Sirius, NAV, DVD..... I'm not thinking replacing the system is a possibility. Anyone know WHERE that module it located??? :shocked:

"according to the stealership....4-500 bones to fix it... I can get a nice radio for 500 bucks.", GEEZ, Some of us have bought nice Renix Jeeps for about $500, some even came with a radio! :laugh3:

Thread from the dead.

Thanks, Hammered. Good pics. Now I'm ready to go hook up my earlier sound bar from my last XJ into my new-to-me 97. This P.O.S. came with a nice-ish CD player, but only front (stock) speakers.

I didn't want to tug on the trim and risk breaking it.

QUESTION:
I want to get behind my dash to install switches for the fan, aux lights and stuff. Do I remove the stereo trim and then it lets me get to the screws for the rest of the dash trim?
Specifically, I want into the blank space to the left of the radio. It is in hammered's pics, the vertical rectangle shape. I have 3 switches I want to install there.

crazyjim said:
I cut out a piece of 1X2 board and taped it in place back there, letting the radio rest on top of it. It works PERFECTLY.

I ended up doing much the same thing for the exact same reason. Make sure, though, that you do not block any vents that may be on the bottom of the head unit.

I got my dash cover off, no problem-o.

WHERE DO THE FACTORY REAR SPEAKER LEADS GO? This 2 dr XJ had no rear speakers installed. Is the wiring for them there somewhere?

I'm trying NOT to run new speaker wire from the sound bar I'm installing to the head unit.

mrfreakinwhite said:
I got my dash cover off, no problem-o.

WHERE DO THE FACTORY REAR SPEAKER LEADS GO? This 2 dr XJ had no rear speakers installed. Is the wiring for them there somewhere?

I'm trying NOT to run new speaker wire from the sound bar I'm installing to the head unit.

The only way to find out is to drop your headliner and see if the wires are up top.
On the 97+ jeeps there are two plugs on the radio, both are 7 pin, the plug with all 7 wires has the rear speaker wires, the one with 5 wires and 7 pins has the front speaker wires.
I have not traced the wiring on the XJ, on the TJ's there is one big wiring bundle that goes down the drivers side and splits right behind the drivers side roll bar, half the bundle goes to the rear for the lights and such, the other half goes up the roll bar to the sound bar and supplies the sound bar speakers and the overhead sound bar light.

Dammit.
Uninstall sound bar and all the freakin plastic to get the headliner down. I didn't pull it down far enough the first time, I guess. At least now I can get a nut in there to add support to the center of the bar which used to rely on a long pin and snap ring. Maybe I'll find the plug for the rear interior light, too.

(Dang base model. No power windows, locks or even one extra interior light - but it has power remote mirrors. WTF?!)

mrfreakinwhite said:
Dammit.
Uninstall sound bar and all the freakin plastic to get the headliner down. I didn't pull it down far enough the first time, I guess. At least now I can get a nut in there to add support to the center of the bar which used to rely on a long pin and snap ring. Maybe I'll find the plug for the rear interior light, too.

(Dang base model. No power windows, locks or even one extra interior light - but it has power remote mirrors. WTF?!)

What year ? my 98SE base model had a built in sound bar that is part of the headliner.

2 door, 4.0/5spd/231/8.25 built March of 97 - not even an SE. Front skid/t-case skid. Previous owner said the tank skid was removed when they put the hitch on recently.

No sound bar in there, no harness, either. I wondered if the harness terminated before getting that far? There's no rear light in the cargo area, either. It does have the rear wiper and of course a license plate light going into the hatch from the roof, but no speaker wires.

I ran wires instead. My old sound bar had some old MTX speakers. It's beat up looking, but it sounds ten times better. I got new speakers for the doors.

mrfreakinwhite said:
I was wrong - it is an SE.

Radio is working great but skips too much. Sony Xplod. Massachusetts roads suck.

Get the JVC or Panasonic BT head units, with the JVC you can stream from a cell phone over bluetooth or plug a USB memory stick or a laptop external USB hard drive in though the hard drive is awkward. My daughter just got home last nite so I'm going to see what happens when I plug her Ipod into the usb port, I'm hoping JVC put the drivers in the firmware.
I did plug my razr in to it the other day, got 'unauthorized charger' but it did look for music on the phones file system, that was with USB, the razr does not have streaming but my daughters W755 does thats how I found out it worked.

Back