• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44 with homemade double cardan

yes, like i said, search on here for more info.
there are a few member who have used the Explorer shaft without modification (when bolting it to an RE type hack and tap).

to mate it to a CV type yoke found on most HD SYE kits, you will need to change from a 4 bolt flange mount to a CV type u-joint.

again, the XJ front shaft might look anorexic but it is plenty beefy (as accounted on here) and will bolt right up without modification!

no offense but you're wanting to put alot of extra work/time and money into something when it isnt needed.

no problem Curt.
it looks like there shouldnt be any work needed for the Explorer shaft to fit. especially no welding or cutting involved.
if anything, it might need different u-joints but it appears suprisingly identical to an XJ front shaft.

XJ shaft is the light colored one...
16c59uq.jpg

lcmld.jpg

258c58h.jpg

The side by side pictures they look pretty much the same. The top and bottom pictures look like the Exploder (yeah I know) DS have been raised up to make them look bigger. Trying trick photography?

no i was trying to show the numbers on the double cardan joint it is the same double cardan joint spicer number c2-26-309 i wrote to mullet man and told him that i didnt have my calipers to measure the shafts but that the main tube looked the same but the lower tube was bigger and that the shaft was bigger on the slide here are the diameters xj main -longest portion 2.020, lower shortest portion that attaches to the differential 1.590,slide shaft 1.005 . explorer main,2.020, lower 1.885,slide 1.160 so there are the numbers go look at one and measure the difference for yourself

Ok I was just checking... I say go with what you want to go with. Its worth a try no matter what happens. And if something bad does happen, chalk it to learning what not to do. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Back