• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 value?

Thanks for the informal survey guys! I'm probably just going to stick with the D44 then.

cherokeefan I've not seen a bare XJ housing north of $200.

Dana 44 is easy if you get one from an XJ, no c-clip nonsense either. I recently found one at the pull and pay from an '87 XJ with 4.56 gears and a mini spool, $120 complete! 8.8s are easier to find but require more work. If you search long enough you can find a Dana 44 for the same price as an 8.8.

My housing wasn't bare when I got it. I pulled the gears as I was gonna truss it, locker, gears, etc... Then I needed a new rear as my 35 went out so I grabbed a used 8.25 29 spline with under 100k and a position that's tight. Two months later I was hit by a semi that ran a red and now I have a bunch of parts and no Jeep. I can't believe how much $$$ Cherokees have gone up in the last 15 years. They used to be dirt cheap around here. Now nice ones are about 6-8k.

I bought a D44 from a NAXJA member here, that had 4.56 gearing and an Auburn LS for $450....sweet deal....

Back