• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 swapped in, axle seals keep leaking...

mjma said:
Oh, and on another note (the leaky D44 note), I now own two XJs with D44s, and both of them leak oil out of the driver side axle seal, and the breather hose......the one I got and did myself has stock gears (3.55), only things I changed were aussie locker and disc brakes. The other one has detroit, 4.88, and the stock drums (for now). I'm seeing a trend here.......or is it just me?

I don't think the seal is a very good one to start with. I think that any imperfection on the axle where the seal rides, will permit leaks.
I am talking about leaks from the outer perimeter of the seal. Are we on the same page? If so, degrease and RTV the edge.
The breather hose is attached with a quick install fitting to the axle. Check the fitting, the hose and the hose valve for obstractions like congealed grease and dirt that may be creating pressure. If those parts are OK, you cannot have pressure in the axle. If you suspect pressure, one of them is NFG

mjma said:
oh, I think that it is the opposite on the opposite side, get it? Mine came assembeled, and I dont' see why you would take that part apart. I would assume that it came that way from the factory.

I don't think so, unless I'm mistaken there are L and R parts.
I think that you can mix and match to install both sides pin up or both sides pin down. I don't think you can have one side pin up and the other pin down.
I am pretty sure that the correct is both sides to have the part with the pin on top pointing down, the opposite of the web picture.
If I'm wrong I'd like to know even though mine is working OK. I had it the other way first and it didn't feel as smooth.

yeah, we're on the same page. neither of the D44s have had RTV applied to the outer edge of the seal, yet.

I guess there must be pressure building up in there, and it must be due to an obstruction in the hose....I guess. Both of them have pressre building up. I want to run the breather line all the way up to the one for the front...then I'll see if I still get that problem.

falcon556 said:
I don't think so, unless I'm mistaken there are L and R parts.
I think that you can mix and match to install both sides pin up or both sides pin down. I don't think you can have one side pin up and the other pin down.
I am pretty sure that the correct is both sides to have the part with the pin on top pointing down, the opposite of the web picture.
If I'm wrong I'd like to know even though mine is working OK. I had it the other way first and it didn't feel as smooth.

Hmm, well I know what you're saying now, but honestly have no clue. Mine came assembled...I didn't touch that part. I assume that the Ebrakes woudl work, IF I hooked them up.....

mjma said:
Hmm, well I know what you're saying now, but honestly have no clue. Mine came assembled...I didn't touch that part. I assume that the Ebrakes woudl work, IF I hooked them up.....

I tried them both ways and they work. I am convinced that only one way is right.
Any information would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll have to go to the local boneyard and look.

sorry , whats the part# on the seal, i too have some oil on my drum backing plate. passenger side

Just freshly assembled D44,

teraflex kit, new shafts, new seals, retainers + terra spacers. Housing new.

And guess what, the DS is leaking after 50 miles.

I will double check it if I did not missed the RTV, otherwise I dont know what else to check ...

It's a 4 year old thread guys

i recently parted out a d44 with leaking seals, and not one, but two people have replied since the revival with similar problems, so i would say it's relevant. WHO CARES if it's an old thread?

you guys complain when people dont search, then complain when they bump an old thread. PICK ONE OR THE OTHER.

FYI,

I was having the same problem with my 87 Dana 44 that I installed in my 99. My problem turned out to be bad axle bearings. My Timken bearings had runout of .010+ inches or more. It could be seen by turning the axle shaft while installed in the housing. You might check and see if you have runout at the axle hub. Timkin had a "silent" recall of bearings on the shelf of the parts houses but did not recall installed bearings. Once my bearings were replaced with new Timkins and new seals I have not had a leak.

Not sure if this is your problem but it worked for me.

bwinter1946, how long ago was this?

The bad bearings were were installed in June 2010. The repair with the good parts was done in March 2011. It took a while to figure it out and get it into the shop.

I didn't want to read through all 7 pages, but i had this problem and it was because i was using the Timken brand of seals. They are the incorrect size. Once i purchased the correct part number (i forget, but i had to go to NAPA...the seals are significantly wider) the leaking stopped.

The incorrect seals also cause the axle to be able to shift in and out of the housing by 1/4" or so...not good for the bearings.

Back