• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Gear Pattern Check Please

I took my Jeep back and they confirmed that the sound its making isn't right. It'll be going in on Monday when they'll take it apart and reset everything - hope there's no damage to anything, I've done about 500km on the gears to far.

gorman said:
I took my Jeep back and they confirmed that the sound its making isn't right. It'll be going in on Monday when they'll take it apart and reset everything - hope there's no damage to anything, I've done about 500km on the gears to far.

This could be caused by too little or even too much bearing pre-load. My money's on too little pre-load. The carrier bearings may have settled in a little too much. Please let us know what they find.

Alright, so after waiting for inner axle seals for over two weeks (people kept sending me the wrong ones) I just went to put the axle all together.

When pressing on the carrier bearings, I added 0.005" shims for the carrier bearing pre-load. I just went to put in the carrier, expecting to have ot beat it in, but I was able to put it in with only my hands. WTF? apparently pressing on the bearings compressed the shim packs a little.

Now, I ran a pattern and checked everything, it all looks good. I know I need to get new bearings and do this again, but how bad is it to run with the bearing preload not so tight?

You have to have the preload. Do you expect to damage the bearings pulling them off? If so, you should get a better bearing separator. I don't use setup bearings when I do a diff, I just press them on and pull them off. I have never ruined the bearings.

Your pattern sucks big time and what was your preload ? Just never mind! Send the thing to me and I will return it...................................Someday. :) :)

Back