• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 Gear ID

87manche

NAXJA Forum User
So, I've got my free rearend taken apart and need to ID the ring and pinion.
The spider gears are totally trashed, so I can't turn the axle and count the pinion turns.
I have all the numbers from the ring gear, does anyone have a list to what they mean?
numbers on the ring.
9 2086 DANA D 42725N P25R8 39 11
Farther down the ring gear it's stamped 735, this is reverse of the direction of the dana numbers
Pinion has 11 teeth.

39 divided by 11 = 3.54

that doesn't seem right. Axle came from a 4 banger with an AX-4.
Looking at gear kits it seems that it could be 3.73.
41-11.
Of course I may have also mis-counted the pinion.
Anyway.
it came out of an 86 AX-4 2.5L MJ. SO what "should" it be. I'm getting the matching front. Was considering moving my new brake hardware to this axle and the same front. Anything's got to be better than 3.07s.

87manche said:
that doesn't seem right. Axle came from a 4 banger with an AX-4.
Looking at gear kits it seems that it could be 3.73.
41-11.
Of course I may have also mis-counted the pinion.
Anyway.
it came out of an 86 AX-4 2.5L MJ. SO what "should" it be. I'm getting the matching front. Was considering moving my new brake hardware to this axle and the same front. Anything's got to be better than 3.07s.
4 bangers with the AX-4 were geared with 3.54 because they don't have an overdrive 5th gear. That's what I have in two 4-banger MJs in my yard right now.

And the numbers are right there in the data you read off the ring gear. I didn't make up the 39 and the 11 -- you gave 'em to me.

yeah, I'm stupid then. I wonder if it's wven worth the trouble to put these under the MJ then.
Wishful thinking that they were lower

I've got the matching front end. It's in very good shape with new unit bearings iand u-joints installed last year.
The spider gears in this 35 are totally shot. Lots of metal chunks in the bottom.
I was considering swapping the spider gears from my working 35 to this axle. then putting them both under the MJ, but I don't know if it's worth all that work to go from 3.07 to 3.55. At the very least I'll be robbing the new unit bearings and u-joints from the donor front, as mine are shot. Then I can put new u-joints in the shafts and have spare shafts for all four corners.

87manche said:
I've got the matching front end. It's in very good shape with new unit bearings iand u-joints installed last year.
The spider gears in this 35 are totally shot. Lots of metal chunks in the bottom.
I was considering swapping the spider gears from my working 35 to this axle. then putting them both under the MJ, but I don't know if it's worth all that work to go from 3.07 to 3.55. At the very least I'll be robbing the new unit bearings and u-joints from the donor front, as mine are shot. Then I can put new u-joints in the shafts and have spare shafts for all four corners.
Put a Aussie locker in it then, you don't need any spider gears, just a good cross pin.

langer1 said:
Put a Aussie locker in it then, you don't need any spider gears, just a good cross pin.
yeah, but I don't want to buy a locker for an axle I plan on replacing in the fall. The grand plan is to put an 8.8 in the rear, and I'd like it to be 4.10. That's why I was hoping these axles would be 4.10. Oh well. I'll figure out what to do. I'm like a freakin woman tonight.

langer1 said:
Something to think about is a supper low range kit for your T=case that way you have all the power you need plus still can afford to drive it.
I've considered that also. I'm researching those. I was planning on beefing up the t-case with 231C parts or 241 parts anyway, and that kit would solve the whole problem of strength and gearing.

Last edited:
PM me about your axle dilema...I may be able to help you out via either my MJ or the 'yard down here....
Jeff

Normally I would say that 3.54s are better than 3.07s, but if you plan to change axles in less than a year to an 8.8 and 4.10s, then it probably isn't worthwhile to swap in the 3.54s now.

Back