• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 30 upper and lower bushings

99lbxj

NAXJA Forum User
I wanna replace the bushing for my upper and lower control arms on my dana 30 everything is stock.

I'm having trouble finding moog bushings for the lower bushings. Does anyone know if the upper and lower bushings are the same?

My jeep is a 99 jeep xj by the way
Thanks in advance.

Upper and lower bushings are different parts.

The lower control arms are stamped sheet metal. Getting the old bushings out was no problem for me but getting new ones to press into the sheet metal and stay put was a major PITA - I eventually tack welded the bushings to the arms. I wouldn't bother doing it again.

www.rockauto.com has a clunky website but a TON of parts and good prices. You can also use them to find part numbers and source them elsewhere, which is kinda sleezey but it works.

You'd be time ahead to just buy new lower control arms. Same for the uppers - flimsy sheet metal that is better replaced than monkeyed with.

Upper and lower bushings are different parts.

The lower control arms are stamped sheet metal. Getting the old bushings out was no problem for me but getting new ones to press into the sheet metal and stay put was a major PITA - I eventually tack welded the bushings to the arms. I wouldn't bother doing it again.

www.rockauto.com has a clunky website but a TON of parts and good prices. You can also use them to find part numbers and source them elsewhere, which is kinda sleezey but it works.

You'd be time ahead to just buy new lower control arms. Same for the uppers - flimsy sheet metal that is better replaced than monkeyed with.

Are these for the upper and lower

http://www.amazon.com/Moog-K3162-Upper-Control-Bushing/dp/B000C55Y68

Those are just for the upper arms

Look at this picture, not stock but its easy to see everything.

mK6Am1jdkzLnQMNzmRoN6Kg.jpg

The upper control arms have bushings at the rear where they attach to the body. The front of the UCA is open and mounts to bushings that are installed in the axle.

Meanwhile the lower controls arms have bushings at both ends of the arm.

The bushings for the LCAs are larger than the bushings for the UCAs.

If you want to replace all of them, you need 4 of each.

Last edited:
for the record, i don't endorse installing stock arms, even on a stock jeep, but if you're going to go down that road, do it instead of trying to rebuild them.

for the record, i don't endorse installing stock arms, even on a stock jeep, but if you're going to go down that road, do it instead of trying to rebuild them.

I think I'm just gonna buy aftermarket control arms
They should come with bushings already right?

I think I'm just gonna buy aftermarket control arms
They should come with bushings already right?
Different ones come with different ends, sometimes vendors will give you a choice. Rubber bushings are the softest ride but can wear out with aggressive use. Polyurethane are more durable but are harsher and will squeak. Finally there are metal ends that are most durable (no wear) but they don't absorb anything.

Is your jeep lifted at all? That would determine if you need adjustable arms and the adjustment range.

Back