• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 HP gear pattern critique.

I would not verify .006-.010 backlash, and alot more load to the carrier or pinion as you try to take a pattern, its hard to tell with what you have there. Maybe ok, but hard to tell. One thing that works for most people, is a drill with a 3/8 to 1/2" adapter in it, then put your pinion socket on that and use the drill to turn the pinion, while you put a hammer handle or prybar against the ring gear end wedged against the housing to create drag.

Just measured the backlash @ .006. Used a belt to hold pinion as I spun the ring gear by the bolts.

It's roughly the same... maybe a tiny bit more contact in the middle.

I usually hold the yoke with my hand and turn with a wrench on the ring gear bolts. I think you are getting closer, but like RWK is saying pattern is a bit harder to read. You might try to take another pattern. If I were you I'd go deeper and look for signs you are too deep before settling on this one. The angle on the 2nd one is what troubles me.

SERIOUSLY? Sheesh.., such short shrift. As I had explained; the pictures you referenced, via your link did not appear on that 2015 naxja page. Is this because of my connection.., or do others find that those pictures via the link work for everyone else?

I found/find this thread educational, and yet for some reason my machine does not display your md21722 pictures which would go a long way for a complete understanding. Too bad for me I can't access them.

I read your message as saying the pictures were of no use to this thread which didn't make any sense to me; I didn't get that they weren't loading for you.

I ended up doing a Hail Mary, and reassembling it. With .008 backlash and 26ft/lbs of preload.

I just ran out of time to keep working on it. I had 5 days alloted to this, and I just couldn't keep it down any longer.

Thanks to all that helped!

-P

I ended up doing a Hail Mary, and reassembling it. With .008 backlash and 26ft/lbs of preload.

I just ran out of time to keep working on it. I had 5 days alloted to this, and I just couldn't keep it down any longer.

Thanks to all that helped!

-P

Well there goes those pinion bearings....
26ft/lbs of preload?!?

Unless thats carrier? and even then thats Way too much! Way!...

Pinion should be about 10-IN/LBS (between 6 and 18 actual)
Carrier should be dead blow installed. Or case spreader at .010 expansion, then when it is just about slide in/out with difficulty but without tools, add .003 to each side, and then its set when the spreader is removed. Which may add about 10in/lbs.

SO your at about 312 In/Lbs. ? !

I'm going to assume he meant in-lbs because he did a rear axle a little bit ago. I think the FSM and Dana manuals say 10-35 in-lbs for pinion preload.

Last edited:
I'm going to assume he meant in-lbs because he did a rear axle a little bit ago. I think the FSM and Dana manuals say 10-35 in-lbs for pinion preload.

Well everyone says something different. But Yukon, Sierra, USA Standard, and many others are between 6 and 15 depending on new bearings or not new. SO I go up as the max to about 18 as dana does call out for a higher spec.

Shoot! Yes.... In/lbs. (I get so used to seeing ft/lbs all day long....)

-P
well even at 26in/lbs thats alot. But if you want to go by Dana's spec, then may not be too bad.

I'd read several locations referencing 20-40 in/lbs.

Didnt you say something about "Yukon" gears?
In any case:
Dana 30:
Yukon specs
West Coast Diff specs
crawlpedia Diff setup specs
Motive Gear specs
Nitro Gear specs
USA Standard Specs
Revolution recommended specs
all show between 6 and 15 in/lbs.
so... just saying....

It is true the Yukon and others give a lower pinion preload than the Jeep FSM and Dana factory service manuals. Jeep says 15-35 in/lbs. Dana says 20-40 in/lbs. Personally I have not been able to resolve the difference.

Back