• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 axle mystery problem

Thanks for all the feedback. The spool came with the ford 9 inch when i bought it, figured it would not be a big deal to leave it in until i had some extra cash for a detroit or lock right...

Spool in the rear is not going to hurt anything but your tire tread.

A spool in the rear, an automatic locker in the front and maybe unequal size tires or tires with different pressure,....I am sure a combination of two or more of these things could result in the problems he is having. But, what do I know, :dunno: . I have an Auburn ECTED in the rear and open in the front.

"My symptoms are still occurring on offroad for those of you suggesting my problem is due to engaging 4x on pavement. And just so this is clear I am by no means mechanically disinclined."

off road,at the same 5mph, or more at like 30 mph? Pics of the front suspension setup will help. Any play in the ball joints, unit bearings, tie rod ends, track bar? I know you said you tore the 30 apart, so these things are solid?

My gut feeling is to agree with the guy who said replace the locker with spiders for now to see if that helps. basically start ruling things out. At that point, if it still does it, I would say pull the t case and go through the thing.

Last edited:
It IS a Torque thing...try it on a loose gravel road...you'll see.
im agreeing as well. mine does it once in a very blue moon.

I would never install a spool on a rig you drive on the street. Take a string and run it around the circumference of the tires and see if they are all the same diameter. If not it will pull one way or the other.
tire pressures? try rotating tires.

My gut feeling is to agree with the guy who said replace the locker with spiders for now to see if that helps. basically start ruling things out. At that point, if it still does it, I would say pull the t case and go through the thing.
try flipping the the side gears on the locker first before installing spiders maybe? for that matter... i know the OP said that the locker was working correctly, but does the gap measure properly?

just some ideas.... :dunno:

when this happens, how far are you driving it? does it start immediately?
does it get worse?
the fact that that you have trouble getting it out of 4WD points to driveline binding.
a spooled rear may be contributing to the problem, but it's not the root cause.
if nothing else, a spool is predictable. especially with an AW4.
simple trouble shoot idea. remove the front and rear drive shafts one at a time to eliminate the possibility of front/rear binding, or to pin point it.

i'm inclined to believe mis-matched gears, though you say you have verified they match.
so my next culprit is the used Aussie.

Blondejon:

All the components in the d30 are in good working order, so its not some random serviceable part causing this .

As to how it reacts on pavement:
the symptoms are immediate and compound the longer it is driven. I remember when it first happened it rolled forward until my steering pretty much became unresponsive, and had an "oh sheet" moment thinking i had somehow grenades my front end.
Offroad:
symptoms are substantially less as far as the passenger side pull is concerned. but the driver's side pull when in reverse is strong enough that if i don't hold the wheel is jeep will make a wide circle.

I know everyone is thinking locker, but it was working just fine before the swap, and it behaves identically to my buddies locker when we compare engagement and disengagement of my locker to his, while our front ends are on stands.

I don't have a lot of time to mess with this right now. So i figure i am just going todo what i had planned on doing prior to this bs: install my drop pitman arm, do an alignment, and go wheeling.

After finals i guess I'll pull the mini spool in the 9inch, drop something else in, and swap spiders back in the front.

Back