• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 front

jdxj

NAXJA Forum User
OK got my new(front) Waggy 44 LP \disks today.

1 The ring gear has 43 teeth. Anyone know what gear ratio that would be?

2 I've spent all this money on my Highsteer and WJ Knuckle swap. Can I put this on the 44? If so how can I make it work?

3 How would one go about changing from a 6bolt pattern to either 5 on 4.5 or 5 on 5.5?

4 He said it was off of a waggy but the hubs are not lockouts and there is a disconnect fork in the housing? I thought all waggys had lockouts?

I have searched but not finding it.
TIA

Last edited:
jdxj said:
OK got my new(front) Waggy 44 LP \disks today.

1 The ring gear has 43 teeth. Anyone know what gear ratio that would be?

2 I've spent all this money on my Highsteer and WJ Knuckle swap. Can I put this on the 44? If so how can I make it work?
Sure, weld Dana 30 knuckles to the waggy44 :laugh3:
3 How would one go about changing from a 6bolt pattern to either 5 on 4.5 or 5 on 5.5?
Ford or CJ outers off the 44knuckle.
I have searched but not finding it.
TIA

I did it with a hp44. It was alot of work and well worth it for a HP. I think you would be better of just keeping your hp30 and upgrade your shafts.
axleandxmas049.jpg
axleandxmas040.jpg

axleandxmas046.jpg

xj9140 said:
I did it with a hp44. It was alot of work and well worth it for a HP. I think you would be better of just keeping your hp30 and upgrade your shafts.
axleandxmas049.jpg
axleandxmas040.jpg

axleandxmas046.jpg
Ya but my 01 has a lowpinion. and It's cool to say front 44:shhh: Plus thats what everyone says right before they offer to take it off my hands.

Last edited:
PM Frank Z - he built a HP44 last year and grafted on his D30 inner-knuckles and WJ brake setup... I'm sure he can give you the ins and outs. As for the lockouts, AFAIK, no Waggy D44's had lockouts stock, they all had slugs. That said, swapping in the lockouts is a 20 minute job.

xj-grin said:
PM Frank Z - he built a HP44 last year and grafted on his D30 inner-knuckles and WJ brake setup... I'm sure he can give you the ins and outs. As for the lockouts, AFAIK, no Waggy D44's had lockouts stock, they all had slugs. That said, swapping in the lockouts is a 20 minute job.
Ya I forgot that he did that. I'm sure he'll chime in here later tonight. Does warn make a lockout for the waggy? Thats not in there convertion kit.(out of my budget)

The lockouts bolt right on. You should have bought a newer Waggy D44 that doesn't have the axle disconnect. You can use Ford 5 on 5.5" hubs with small bearing spindles or mid 80's Dodge D44 5 on 5.5" hubs. The Dodge ones I've seen have flattop knuckles and use a bigger inner wheel bearing then the Ford ones do.:eeks1:

I'll stick with my '77 HP D44 with 1/2" wall axle tubes and use Dodge parts from the knuckles out.
I just need the passenger knuckle machined for my high steer set-up....:moon:

Last edited:
TNT said:
Thw lockouts bolt right on. You should have bought a newer Waggy D44 that doesn't have the axle disconnect. You can use Ford 5 on 5.5" hubs with small bearing spindles or mid 80's Dodge D44 5 on 5.5" hubs. The Dodge ones I've seen have flattop knuckles and use a bigger inner wheel bearing then the Ford ones do.:eeks1:

I'll stick with my '77 HP D44 with 1/2" wall axle tubes and use Dodge parts from the knuckles out.
I just need the passenger knuckle machined for my high steer set-up....:moon:
:smsoap::doh: But then I paid $100 bucks for mine.:laugh3: :twak: I think I'll just keep the waggy brakes and get new wheels and tires.

jdxj said:
:smsoap::doh: But then I paid $100 bucks for mine.:laugh3: :twak: I think I'll just keep the waggy brakes and get new wheels and tires.

I paid $200.00 for my HP D44 and 9" axles and that included the Dodge parts too....:laugh3: :twak:

TNT said:
I paid $200.00 for my HP D44 and 9" axles and that included the Dodge parts too....:laugh3: :twak:
Damn:rattle: :gonnablow

Even better yet both the HP D44 and the Dodge axle ends included lockouts. So now I have 2 sets... :moon:

TNT said:
Even better yet both the HP D44 and the Dodge axle ends included lockouts. So now I have 2 sets... :moon:
I'll take the extra set off your hands. Will on mine?:angel:

xj9140 said:
sell the wj stuff, buy a assie locker :)
My steering linkage would still work right. Just not the brakes and knuckles?

jdxj said:
I'll take the extra set off your hands. Will on mine?:angel:

Sorry but one set is for spare parts on the trail, just in case I explode the other ones.

jdxj said:
My steering linkage would still work right. Just not the brakes and knuckles?

Your XJ steering will work with the WJ knuckles, but if you keep the D44 waggy stuff, your XJ steering wont work. Waggys are OTK, and use bigger TREs, so reaming wont work. I am currently running the stock Waggy inverted T setup, but I think it sucks... Oh, you will also need a drop pitman from a waggy, as it will keep the thow on the steering the same with the longer Waggy outer knuckle steering arm (otherwise you will loose turning radius. The drop waggy pitman is about the same drop as a Stock XJ, just longer - like $50 from Rustys and in stock...

Back