• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 Chryco 8.25 question

CanMan said:
Sorry for the 'hijack', but what year were those found in? What year is yours? We got a few out in a local yard.

Remember we do have this thread... http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101345

the rodeo/passports had the D44 from i think 1994-1996, dont quote me on that but they came in a few axel options, 4.10 and 4.30
I can get on to ya CanMan for 400 shipped, thats complete with disk brakes and calipers, everything.

I say if you can get the 44 for that price, go for it.

Yes, you don't NEED it with 32s, and you MAY never go bigger...but...

The way I see it....Lockers and gears are higher priced for the 8.25 than a 44. The cheapest locker you can get is the No-slip for around $375. Good gears are ~$200 plus install kit. So it's either:

8.25 free
Gears $200
Install kit $50
No-slip $375
Total $625

Versus
D44 $200
Gears $150
Install kit $50
Aussie $240
Total $640

Of course these are rough estimates and don't include any labor, but I'd rather spend an extra $15 and have a 44!

Just my $.02

lol i just about got a D44 from pick and pull with low miles for $100 off a rodeo, the only issue i have with those things is they are a damn 6 lug, and i love my moab rims. Looks like i am gonna get a 8.8 with factory 4.10's for about $150.
total cost of getting a rear with 4.10s already to go would be about $200 if gotten from the right place and with your self welding on the spring perches and keeping the stock gearing.

uncc civilengineer said:
The 44 is stronger... the 44 does have smaller diamater axle tube but nothing a truss cant fix.... The pinion is a tad bit smaller, but how often are you breaking the pinion shaft?

Out come the bandaids...

I'm not trying to open a can of dead horse worms, just trying to be a voice of reason.

I'm willing to admit that the D44 is probably a stronger axle (definitely in the case of isuzu d44s if they've really got 1.5" shafts), trussed I'm sure its stronger still... But did the OP say he has a line on a trussed 44? Lets keep the comparison direct bolt-on.

How often do you break a pinion shaft? Probably about as often as you'll break axles or R&P (or bend your axle tube) with 32s... Since we're not talking about use that's likely to exceed the capabilities of either axle, I don't see any big benefit to switching to the 44.

The strengths are similar, so why spend any time on it? If you're going to bother swapping axles and there's a real worry that eventually you'll be outisde the capabilities of a stock 29 spliner, wtf would be the point of putting on a D44?

I wouldn't feel that much more confident on a stock D44 on say 36s than I would on a 29 spliner. I'd be MORE confident but if I were locked I'd still be waiting for something to blow.

To me an upgrade that you still have to worry about isn't much upgrade at all. The advice to plan for future inch-itis isn't bad, I just think the D44 would be an ill-advised pit stop. If you're trashing a 29 spliner you (at least I would) want something bigger than a d44.

8.25 is not going to have a problem with 32s. He's already said that he doesn't want to go bigger, so why spend the cash.

TRAILREADYXJ said:
8.25 free
Gears $200
Install kit $50
Lockright - $300
Total $550

Keep the 8.25. Plenty of aftermarket for it. They make a full detroit, an ARB or a True Trac. Those are arguably the best carriers in their class, what else do you need? I ditched my 8.25, but simply to get the 4.88 ratio. If I didn't want 4.88s, I'd of never swapped it out. ZJ disc brakes are bolt on, you can buy alloys for it. There is no reason to get rid of it. All of these people saying to get the 44 just because you can, thats just not a good enough reason in my book. Build what ya got, it will suit you just fine.............:thumbup:

91 Jeep Project said:
All of these people saying to get the 44 just because you can, thats just not a good enough reason in my book. Build what ya got, it will suit you just fine.............:thumbup:

X2

91 Jeep Project said:
Build what ya got, it will suit you just fine
X3

I upgraded mine to a D44 only because I got a free 33-spline Detroit for it, so I trussed it and threw in 33-spline alloys to make it a worthy upgrade, otherwise I'd still be running the 29-spline 8.25. I ran the 8.25 for a couple years with 33's, no problems at all.

Back