• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Ring gear lock-tite

mjma

NAXJA Forum User
How essential is it?? Should we remove the bolts and lock-tite them?/ Right now we quit for the night, got the carrier torqued back in there, and all the ring gear bolts torqued to 90 ft-lbs (70-90 spec). Finishing up the install in the morning. Will we regret not using lock-tite?/

Yes, I also like to use new bolts if at all posable. A grade 8 bolt can be torque 5 times. Grade 8 nuts 3 time. But if I don't know how many time they have torque it's cheep peace of mind.
Even if it's never been opened. The factory boys reuse and badly over torque bolts all the time. Beside bolts just being soft.

Appreciate the input guys! This morning I saw the two responses saying yes, and we went ahead and lock-tited every bolt! I'll tell my friend about the recommendation of getting totally new bolts.

Again, thanx for the info! Gotta love NAXJA

I didn't use lock tight once. And made a mess of stuff. The ring gear literally broke apart from the carrier and chewed up the housing. Wise choice to do it right.

P.S. I had ASE certified buddies that said it would be fine..... Sometimes I wonder if they just didn't want to see the XJ flounder. Envy is a sin.........

Gunner said:
I had ASE certified buddies that said it would be fine.....

I think you just learned the hard way that ASE doesn't necessarily mean qualified or experienced. Although its not quite as bad as saying MSCE :|>#

what about a rear dana 44?
i took off the ring gear so i could weld the hell out of my spyders without the ring gear interferring. i didnt use locktite, but should i have?
(sorry for the sort-of hijacking but its basically the same thing)

How is this for coincidence then...
Dana spicer does not use any type of threadlock when building the axles. How much did you have to clean off the bolts when you took them out?
I think your going to have bigger problems with the overtorquing of those bolts. 90... ouch. With experience, I torque D30 and D44 ring gear bolts to 55 lbft. And yes I use threadlocker. Just saying that its a recomendation but not a requirment. It is also highly recomended that you replace the ring gear bolts rather than reuse.

So then where do you get ring gear bolts? I got mine in my install kit, but now I have to take my ring gear off for the 3rd time this month to put my OX in. Do you just get them from the hardware store, or can you buy them sepereate from NAPA or others? Thanks

Rawbrown said:
Dana spicer does not use any type of threadlock when building the axles. How much did you have to clean off the bolts when you took them out?
I think your going to have bigger problems with the overtorquing of those bolts. 90... ouch. With experience, I torque D30 and D44 ring gear bolts to 55 lbft. And yes I use threadlocker. Just saying that its a recomendation but not a requirment. It is also highly recomended that you replace the ring gear bolts rather than reuse.

I had my factory never touched D35 ring gear bolts break the head off of 2 of them. They were this way for a long time and I didn't know until one of the remaining studs backed out and chewed things up. If lok tite would have been used, it may have went longer. But, good thing it did it when it did,, I was in my driveway, not the highway!

Rawbrown said:

Curious. The FSM calls for 70-90 ftlbs on the D30 and D35 ring gear bolts. The 8.25 gets 70 ft-lbs. FSM doesn't call for locktite, but I'd use it anyway. I gather that your experience (far more than mine) says lower torque and locktite works better?

call me goofy. have always gone by the specs per Randy's Ring and Pinion. They have a nice little chart on the back of there install guide Listing all the torque and setup specs for most axles. Perhaps it is because I use threadlock on every bolt and torque to that spec that I haven't had any problems.
And the 35's don't count. Those things can have tons of issues. The fact that there is only 8 bolts mounting the ring gear is part of the problem.

This was my first time removing a ring gear. It was for a no-slip install. We could have just ground down one tooth and been all set but we didn't have a dremel or anything with us!!

We did, however, have a FSM which told us to go with 70-90ft-lbs, so we set it to 90, and loc-tited it. Maybe the 55 ft-lbs is for a fresh install, and the 70-90 is for reinstalling?? That would make sense to me.

I'm hoping that it will hold up. Next time I'll know to replace the bolts!

Last edited:
Broke off bolt in ring gear, broke off tool in bolt after drilling. Will It throw things way off it I only install the nine remaining bolts. I dont typically take shortcuts but am in a jam.

If it was me, I wouldn't do it.... Read my previous post where I had one of those broken bolts back out, jammed in the gears and tore some stuff up.... Luckily I was only going abou 5 mph when it did it!!! If you need it to just get you home, or get you by for a week or so, you might be ok, but definitely not as a long term fix....

Back