• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d30 hub question

Waterhammer

NAXJA Forum User
When you unbolt the hub assy from the knuckle and pull it off does it come off as one piece or two? Example- I pulled the plate with the wheel studs off the axle and exposed a bearing. Then I had to pull the bearing housing out of the knuckle, then I could pull the axle out. When I looked up a replacement part on NAPA it shows a whole hub assembly. So I think I just f'ed up my axle bearing, but it had really distroyed itself anyway, from the looks of it... Not good posting pictures yet, sorry...

What year is it?

I replaced the hubs on my 1991 XJ, and it was all one piece. When I removed the old ones, and looked at the new ones, all one unit. I think they're all like that, but can't be 100% positive.

I'd replace them anyhow, chances are good the old ones are cooked.

:(

What a PITA, toasted hubs on both sides. Not that I mind putting new parts on, it's just I'm doing ball joints too and they ain't budging. That's enough for tonight though, getting a torch tomorrow.

The hub assemblies, at least on the early XJ's, are rebuildable. The M.R.244 manual has instructions for splitting the hub and replacing the bearings. Someone on a tight budget could save some bucks but only if they already had a press to split the hubs. And only if they hadn't destroyed the hubs getting them off the knuckle. I recently changed the original hubs on my '88 after two days of swinging a big hammer. Found a new pair on ebay for $59 each. What I thought was road noise was bearing noise. I never knew an XJ could be so quiet :)

Back