• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 E-locker wires through diff cover

thecougarguy

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,
Just picked up my 98 XJ from the gear shop where they installed 4.56 gears and an OX in the rear (8.25) and an e-locker in the front D30. I'm a little annoyed because they just drilled a hole through my new Poison Spider diff cover for the actuator wires instead of through the axle housing.

IMG_1734.jpg

The shop owner (old school dude who's been doing diffs for 30 years) said that there wasn't an acceptable spot to drill in the housing, and that it would be fine. I'm already noticing a little oil seepage from the grommet. Have any of you seen these installed this way, and any suggestions on how to seal it better, while being able to pull the diff cover to change oil, etc?

Thanks,
Mike

Thats a lil hackish.. There is plenty of room to the outside of the upper control arm mount on top. I have drilled over 50 for air locker bulkheads there, as well as I would estimate 25 e-locker/ected locker ports.

But now that you're where you are. Just use some black shoe-goo. Or if you are really worried about leakage, 3M Black weatherstrip adhesive.

I drilled a hole in the pumpkin at about the 1 o'clock position, no problem.

Ask him what happens every time you want to R&R the cover for an oil change ?

Personally I would have freaked if a shop had done that to me, old school, new school or any school.

He just took the easy way out...........FAIL !

Thanks for the quick replies. Rwk, do you think if I use the 3M weatherstrip adhesive I'll be able to get the wires back out for servicing without damaging them? I want to be able to go through some water (small creeks/streams) without worrying about immediately having to flush my axle when I get home.

Thats a hack job. There is no reason he could not drill a small hole somewhere on the top of the housing. Now it will be a PIA to change gear oil as an added bonus. The fact that he claims he has been doing diffs for 30 years is scary...

Yeah, I'm actually going to call him tomorrow and tell him I'd like a new diff cover and the job re-done. I got his name from west coast differentials, who is associated with the Sierra gears I bought. It's kind of a head scratcher:huh:

Thanks guys

Yeah, I'm actually going to call him tomorrow and tell him I'd like a new diff cover and the job re-done.

Good luck with that conversation, my guess is he will have a pile of salt and a hammer on his desk with your name on it.

Seriously, I hope you get the job done right the 2nd time.

Yeah, I'm actually going to call him tomorrow and tell him I'd like a new diff cover and the job re-done. I got his name from west coast differentials, who is associated with the Sierra gears I bought. It's kind of a head scratcher:huh:

Thanks guys

Exactly, call and explain that the job is unacceptable and that you need it redone with a new diff cover.

I would be pissed if someone did that to my rig.

Does the install directions say where to run the wires? You might be able to use that against him in your argument if he didn't follow the directions.

Where in the bay area are you at? I'm in the far east bay.

Holy shit i'd be pissed! The problem you get with some old school guy's is they're on auto pilot waiting for retirement. I'd check the rest of his work as well. Good luck getting it fixed properly. Hate when I see stuff like this.

I would be pissed if someone did that to my rig.

Does the install directions say where to run the wires? You might be able to use that against him in your argument if he didn't follow the directions.

Where in the bay area are you at? I'm in the far east bay.

Didn't notice he was Bay Area. I'd like to know as well just so I can avoid the shop. I might actually have an idea of who did that. Hopefully not but from what he's said it may be the same guy...

Edit - I'm East Bay as well, Concord. :cheers:

Last edited:
MY gut tells me if the guy was dumb enough to drill through the cover, he is also probably a A-hole, and he will probably call you an idiot for wanting to drill through the housing- even though he is the idiot A hole but he is too blind to this , get very defensive, and you will get stuck welding up that hole in the cover and drilling your own hole in the housing.

I live in the north bay, but the shop is down by SFO and has differential in their name. I'm going back today to talk to the shop owner.

Oh ok. Not the shop I was thinking of. Good luck on getting this figured out. Something tells me that you're going to get the run around. Hopefully not.

Show him the thread if all else fails lol.

Back