• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 carriers question.

Dann

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a difference in the carriers of a standard D30, and the HP D30? Are they interchangeable? I just bought a D30 carrier for 3.73 and numerically higher gearing with the intent of putting it in my '98 XJ, along with some 4.10's or 4.56's. The carrier came out of a '97 TJ. For some reason, I thought all '97 and newer Jeep TJ and XJ models came with the HP D30 front axle, only to find out that isn't the case. Tj's came with the low pinion. I hope I didn't just waste my money. Any and all info appreciated. TIA, Dann

Well. I may have answered my own question through checking out the sites of Dana/Spicer distributors. They offer different part numbers for R&P's and set-up/overhaul kits for reverse and standard rotation D30's but only offer two carriers/cases. One for 3.55 and numerically lower, and one for 3.73 and higher. So, based on that, I'm assuming the carriers/cases are interchangable. I should be able to put a reverse rotation ring gear on the carrier and install it in my high pinion axle ass'y.
I would still like to hear from anyone who has more in depth knowledge. Dann

After a couple of phone calls, here is my answer:
The only difference is the spider gear shaft diameters, so for those of you out there who haven't bought a TJ carrier for fear of it not working with your XJ high pinion, it is a bolt in swap as long as the carrier is complete. I.E.: with spider gears and crosspin.

Stupid question:

What's the difference between Low and High Pinion diffs..

(I did a search, but didn't find anything concise)...

Thanks, and I apologize for the Hi-Jack...

Low pinion axles have a pinion that meets the ring below the centerline of the axle. High-pinion ones...mesh above centerline. For the front D30, the high-pinion provides more ground clearance for the driveshaft whil reducing the operating angles of the u-joints. However, it can sometimes interfere with the exhaust.

Crawl under your Jeep and see where the pinion enters the diff. If it's 84-99 it should be high-pinion while 00-01 are low-pinion like the TJ...apparently Daimler decided to reduce the parts catalog and consolidated into that one, knowing they were going to kill off the Cherokee.

xjwoody said:
Stupid question:

What's the difference between Low and High Pinion diffs..

(I did a search, but didn't find anything concise)...

Thanks, and I apologize for the Hi-Jack...

and a HI pinion has reverse cut gears...a low doesn't.

Back