• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Carrier Bearing

AREYOULIVING

NAXJA Forum User
If you replace the carrier bearing do you have to worry about resetting the gears? backlash?? Do you have to worry about any adjustments other than the torque specs of the carrier bearing? Are HP and LP carrier bearings the same? Axles same? Is it common for these to go out?

Thanks
Bill

If all you are changing is the bearings, then no, you don't need to re-check everything other than properly torquing everything. That being said, if you have a dial indicator, I would check anyway. My concern would be why the bearings failed in the first place. Re-checking might let you know if things weren't set up right and help you avoid similar problems in the future.

What year XJ do yo have? It is common on some newer ones for the carrier bearings to go, apparently they used crappy metal.

You'd just have to check the backlash. Of course keep the bearing caps in the same spot, torque them to spec. Keep the same shims that were on there on the same side, and when you check it, it should be fine.

Thanks for the response guys. The axle is out of a '97 with about 120k on the ticker. Not sure why it would go out?? I guess like you said crappy materials. I'm not savy enough to know what and where or how to measure backlash etc. so I thought if needed I would take it to a rearend shop and try not to get rearended if you know what I mean.

I just put my aussie in my 99 with 115k and it needed bearings. They were timken bearings in it so its not a crappy bearing or anything. Unfortunately Advance auto was the only place to have the bearings and they were chinese (PEER?) bearings. Not so sure they are decent quality. Oh well. Didnt need to reset backlash, did check before and after tho to be sure.

Back