• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d30 c-cliped or non c-cliped?

canadianwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
I tried searching on the net but could not find the answer i was looking for.

Does a 92 xj d30 non disconnect use c-clips or not? If so what years came with non clips.

as far as i know the passenger side axle on the disco axles have a c-clip to keep the axle shaft from walking over into the shift fork and locking gear.non dico axle don't have them

Wil Badger said:
as far as i know the passenger side axle on the disco axles have a c-clip to keep the axle shaft from walking over into the shift fork and locking gear.non dico axle don't have them
Ah, that would make sense. I guess I need to read my FSM more carefully.

Wil Badger said:

As far as I know there is no c-clip on a disco axle. The intermediate shaft is pressed into its bearing, and simply butts against the outer shaft. The outer shaft has a pin in its end which fits into the hollowed end of the intermediate shaft for axial alignment.

Matthew Currie said:
As far as I know there is no c-clip on a disco axle. The intermediate shaft is pressed into its bearing, and simply butts against the outer shaft. The outer shaft has a pin in its end which fits into the hollowed end of the intermediate shaft for axial alignment.
I just checked my FSM and it looks like the intermediate shaft has a c-clip at the diff end.

Matthew Currie said:

My 89 had a c-clip on the intermediate shaft, holding it to the carrier. But my 90 did not hvae a c-clip, or a groove ont he shaft for one.

Matthew Currie said:

what happens is a lot of times the c-clips is not reinstalled if the front end is worked on.but as you can see from others who posted above it does have a clip on the inner shaft

Blue XJ said:
My 89 had a c-clip on the intermediate shaft, holding it to the carrier. But my 90 did not hvae a c-clip, or a groove ont he shaft for one.
That's weird. I haven't looked inside the D30 on my 90, but it's got a c-clip there according to the FSM.

INteresting. My 95 FSM makes no mention of a C clip for the YJ disco D30, and shows none in the diagrams. I have an 89 XJ D30 behind the barn, but have never had to cover off to check, but I guess I shouldn't have assumed the designs were the same.

Matthew Currie said:
INteresting. My 95 FSM makes no mention of a C clip for the YJ disco D30, and shows none in the diagrams. I have an 89 XJ D30 behind the barn, but have never had to cover off to check, but I guess I shouldn't have assumed the designs were the same.
He He He, never assume that jeep keept any designs the same young currie! :twak: Did you know the space between the rear wheels was widder in the 84 than in a 94? :nono:

Ghost said:
Did you know the space between the rear wheels was widder in the 84 than in a 94? :nono:

And I thought I read somewhere that a YJ Dana 35 is like 1/4" narrower than an XJ 35. Not positive though

Jeep likes to change things around!! I had a disco axle in my 89 MJ, no C-clip on the pass inner shaft......strange jeep things, eh?!

Also, I had a set of spare shafts for it...and although there was no bearing inbetween the inner and middle shaft for the one that AFAIK came stock in my MJ, there was a bearing on the spare set that I had.....Also, AFAI remember, there was no c-clip groove on my spares. luckily I never had to use them!

Back