• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D.I.Y. Eaton M62 Supercharger

CobraMarty

NAXJA Forum User
2013-07-06200509_zpsd6314aca.jpg

2013-07-07182458_zps89598882.jpg

IDK, looking for a JY white hood to recut tighter around the SC and don't have to paint or just paint this one. Probably going to leave the SC open uncovered, it really attracts attention. Leaving the rear hood lift, 1.2", as that really helps with under hood cooling.

Super easy install in an afternoon. The SS box is now all plug and play, it comes with a connector/jumper harness all wired together which plugs into the ECU and tune loaded. 6-6.5pounds boost, AFR 11.5-11.9 under boost (safe but a little rich) IAT's 160-180 at WOT. Spent more time going slow in this 100* heat and rounding up bits and pieces. Kit $1000, SC $100, SS controller $580. I added a 62mm TB and CAI mod with 3" hole out the bottom of the airbox and hosed to a duct behind the fog light opening.

Autocrossing- this thing is a beast. Lowered, wide tires and rims, HD front sway bay, shocks, sub-2900pounds and this handles like it is on rails. No body roll. Flat, responsive, controlled. Went to one local SCCA event and was turned away at tech b/c it is a 'high CG roll over potential'. Sent in a letter of petition to SCCA. They allow a GMC Typhoon to run. Collecting a file to present to them. BMWCCA? seems a bit more open. The Turbo XJ-R just ran with them and placed 10th out of 100, not too shabby, and surely annoyed some BMW drivers.

2013-07-07165433_zpsfd8f4fd8.jpg

Download the SCCA Solo or ProSolo pdf. There is a Height-to-Track-Width ratio that I had handy to help my case with NCC(forget what it was, but now I'm even lower and wider). I also have auto-xed the M3 w/ Autocrosser's Inc and WDCR (both SCCA), and I've seen a Lightning run that I know my Jeep would beat, but I need to participate in more events and prove my skills/let them get to know me before I present my Jeep case(maybe the vids from this weekend will help). Anyhow, the BMWCCA likes to have X3s and X5s participate in their auto-x schools(haven't seen any on points days), so they are more sympathetic to performance SUVs than the "serious" SCCAers.

In 3.1, replace the second paragraph under “Rollover Potential Guidelines” with the following:
“One method of assessing rollover potential involves comparing the vehicle overall height (measured from the ground
to its tallest point) with its average track (calculated by averaging front and rear track measurements as determined
per 12.5). If the height is greater than the average track, the car is considered to have a high rollover potential.
This method applies to the Stock, Street Touring, and Street Prepared categories, and is provided for Regional
officials and Technical Inspectors to use in determining the acceptability of high-center-of-gravity vehicles as
referred to elsewhere herein .”

Thanks, this is great info.

FYI, that's a Rick Rimmer kit made from Sprintex parts he hid when they came to repossess their product. The M62 is too small for the job, the kit compresses air through the stock TB port, the parts are machined and repurposed for unintended use, and the pullies are not hard anodized (so they're guaranteed to fail).

Also, if you're going to start selling Rick SC's then I suggest you get a naxja merchant account.

Same 'ol rhetoric from yan. Please trashing yet another thread.
Start your own rimmer slamming defamation thread and bash all you want there.
There are no Sprintex parts here, I should know as I have both.
The M62 here produces 6.5 pounds boost, hardly too small.
Nobody is selling anything here, so you can get off that horse.

Bla Bla Bla.
Here I will start your own rimmer bashing thread for you, go post there.
This thread is not about him, you can post and bash all you want on your own thread.

Urban Yan - Rick Rimmer thread, CLICK HERE.

I would not call the M62 too small for a stock 4.0L. I would say it is right near the top of its capabilities for a stock 4.0L. If you have a modified 4.0L with ported heads and larger valves then maybe it is time to consider a M90.

I would not call the M62 too small for a stock 4.0L. I would say it is right near the top of its capabilities for a stock 4.0L. If you have a modified 4.0L with ported heads and larger valves then maybe it is time to consider a M90.

Aside from my earlier concerns (where this kit came from - ill conceived parts/ Rick Rimmer) I would say that IF you're going through all this effort to install a supercharger in your Jeep... purchase an expensive tuner, hack the shhh*t out of your hood.. than it only makes sense that you start with the M90 in the first place. This is a dead-end set-up if you decide to go further with your build. Why pigeon hole yourself? Why not do things right the first time around?

Aside from my earlier concerns (where this kit came from - ill conceived parts/ Rick Rimmer) I would say that IF you're going through all this effort to install a supercharger in your Jeep... purchase an expensive tuner, hack the shhh*t out of your hood.. than it only makes sense that you start with the M90 in the first place. This is a dead-end set-up if you decide to go further with your build. Why pigeon hole yourself? Why not do things right the first time around?

Availability? I have minimal luck finding M62 units in the junk yard, but no luck at all finding M90 units.

I have 2 M90s and 3+1installed M62s I picked up from JY and Ebay.
For those who don't know, the M90 is physically too large to fit in this location.
All said and done, this install costs less than $1700 installed, took an afternoon and everything is plug and play and gives 6.5pounds boost and max 180*IATs and is worth about +60rwHP and +80rwTQ.

The GM 3800 M90 is just too long with the snout and TB and elbow. Other newer M90 variants are more expensive and rare but are shorter and could be made to fit.

Back