• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cylnder misfire?

hey all, some weird stuff is happening again, engine light went back on, and it started shaking. not sure what to do now. MJR any way to check the "cam sensor/oil pump drive walking out of sync"? any possible solutions? im thinking to just take it to jeep and let them diagnose and fix the problem, but i dont want to spend the money on their labor when i can probably do it myself.

chrysler now replaces the champion plugs in the 4.0 with ngk plugs. that can help, but you need to get the pcm reprogrammed for that problem. i just did one the other day and that took care of the problem.

etaniyani said:
hey all, some weird stuff is happening again, engine light went back on, and it started shaking. not sure what to do now. MJR any way to check the "cam sensor/oil pump drive walking out of sync"? any possible solutions? im thinking to just take it to jeep and let them diagnose and fix the problem, but i dont want to spend the money on their labor when i can probably do it myself.

It can only be checked with a scan tool and you have to go into Set Sync to see it.

The issue you are describing sounds like the other TSB (18-031-03) for 00-01 years for a hot soak rough idle/check engine lamp on restart. There is a fiberglass sleeve that can be installed (doubled up cut as needed) on the #3 injector for the issue. Part # is 56028371AA for the sleeve.

I am more than willing to look at it for you if you don't mind the drive to Costa Mesa or Irvine.

Other things to consider doing (if they haven't been done or used crappy parts) are a tuneup (using either Champion or NGK plugs{like jneary said}) and other maintenance as needed.

Mike R

jneary said:
the sleeve is for a cylinder 3 misfire if that is the cause. it wont take care of the other cylinders misfiring

Never said it would but if one misfires it can cause the next cylinder in firing order to look like it.

Mike R

Back