• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cutting the range fork shaft - PORC SYE kit

i may be wrong, its been a while since ive done one but ya, FIRST take the yoke off and then the bolts on the tail housing, i think i explained it wrong, the clip im talking about it under the tail housing lol,

OK, lastnigh I took of the tailhousing and the shifts are nice and smooth :yelclap:

the shaft protrudes less than 1" and still cut a little bit about 1/8"

The tailhouse has marks on the side of the pocket for the shaft, and sure enough when I put it back just for trial the shifting got very difficult

I have to work on the tailhousing side of the pocket to make room for the shaft

if you already have it cut, get a round ended rasp and clean up the inside of the tail housing pocket with it and then slightly round off the shaft, if you do all that then check out your bushings, i have to slam mine into 4lo cause im missing the upper bushing in the adjuster for the shift linkage, yours could be gone or going,

The bushings were all there when the TC was first taken apart and in pristine shape

I did not open the TC this time

Shifting is now nice and smooth at least in the garage, I'll drive it tomorrow when the silicon dries up.

A few comments ...
I had to enlarge the inside of the tailhousing to avoid the range fork hitting the side

then ... when trying the tailhousing it will become difficult to shift ... hmm ... what the heck is going n, the range fork shat is now free ....

After taking a close look to the tailhouse I noticed the bearing for the shaft is not in all the way , it also does not have a c clip holding it in place

pressed the bearing al the way in and tried installing the tailhousing ... it works well

install the yoke and hand tighten it ... and the damn thing jammed again

the yoke hits the bearing and pulls the shaft

pushed the bearing slightly back , reassembled and tested OK

The instructions that came with the kit do mention to check for the range shaft not hitting the tail house

it does not mention the bearing of the rear shaft having a c clip

I hope the bearing stays in place and does not cause shifting problems

the brand of the SYE is Rugged ridge , also says omix-ada
Made in Taiwan ....

here are the instructions for rubicon express`s A-A HD SYE kit, i copied a section from it

(Fig. 9A) Speed-o- Ring Gear Install​
(8) Assemble speed-o-drive
(a) Install retaining ring, located just behind the pump.
(b) Slide ring gear into position.​
(c) Install retaining ring behind ring gear.
(Fig. 9A)

this is the last thing you have to do before you put the new tail housing onto the t-case, it keeps everything from sliding forerward like yours is,

anyways heres the link, check the last page, i dunno if its the same as the one you have but should give you a idea of what to look do

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Img/Products/Pn/8/1808/PDF/Instructions/0.pdf

Back