• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom front recovery gear

chpmnsws6

NAXJA Forum User
Because I didn't like hooks or the front receiver hitch I had, we built a set of D ring shackles running through the stock bumper. I've since bought a new bumper so this setup is up for grabs.
pict0012td.jpg

It comes with the modified stock bumper and trimmed endcaps. The rings go through the front of the endcaps and every offroad guy thats looked at the Jeep has loved the design.

sspx0229.jpg

I'll throw in the bracket you see on the inner frame rail. Does not come with shackles (they are on the FrankZ bumper)

I've never seen this setup before. It keeps the front end light and has taken some good pulls from our 2500 CTD.

150 for the setup OBO.

If they don't, neither will a front bumper. I bought the plates and such from AJ's. Hopefully a tech inspector will chime in (which is the reason I posted the scratched up "before final paint" picture).

like Dan said, we will need to see more detailed pics of the items. If they extend back the unibody and bolt on with more then just the 3 stock location bumper bracket bolts, it will more then likely pass. BUT, without seeing a more detailed shot, we can not say with certainity if it will pass or not.

dring.jpg

I have a nasty sprained ankle right now (which is why I'm on the boards more and not at work or clinicals.... And why Fore Wheeler got a tent sale so quickly haha) so no more pictures for awhile. As you can see from the second picture in the first post, I used the 3 holes to make that plate (parrallel with the steering box holes), and the stock 3 for the bumper.

are the thick pieces that protrude through the bumper welded to those plates which are bolted to the frame and stock bumper location? If so these WILL NOT pass inspection.

reason: NO WELDED HOOKS OR TOW POINTS. There are alot of hack welders (me included) that can't lay a bead WHEN lives depend on it.

Solution: drop a couple holes through the two pieces (three would be better on each side) and bolt them together as well, using grade 8 bolts. This way (even tho you may be a master welder), we know they're not going to be pulled apart and send them flying like a bullet and split someones head like in 'The Walking Dead'.

Fore 'I'm a having my tow bar welded professionally cuz I don't trust me' Wheeler

This topic is currently being discussed, we will get back with ya.

Thanks!

A bit more info/questions for the bored

I had my father weld them. He's been through more then a few welding courses here at the community college and although he does not sell what he welds, we make farm implements, trailers, and more for the last decade. I didn't like any of the hooks or brackets available on the market to go behind the stock bumper. When buried deep, fishing under your truck for a hook is never any fun.

Very understandable concerns though. Wish I took some pictures of the backside to show consistent penetration throughout the length of the beads. As far as drilling- If it comes to that, I will just scrap the setup and use the tabs on the rear bumper, since that's about one inch of steel

We do need a clear definition of what will and won't pass though. I will be traveling a decent ways and don't want my home built bumper from FrankZ to not pass because it was not purchased from a dealer and is welded.

Speaking of passing, not passing, and if you experienced guys have seen this-
I'm not sure how most winch bumpers are, but this winch has the tabs out about 12 inches from the factory chassis. On side pulls, does this risk the chance of twisting up? I put the ones I'm selling together where they were pushing on the end caps because I felt every MM counted when your pulling on something a dozer should be (stuck tractor/full size trucks) or being pulled out from the side. I always favored the drivers side since it has steering gearbox and within the chassis, it has the frame sleeves. The passenger side does not have these frame sleeves, so it was always just along for the ride unless it had to be used.

Sorry for the off topic, but since this kind of questioning is coming up, I figured I'd ask (fairly new to actual wheeling)
This trailer started out as an old bridge, some angle, and C-channel. The quick release spear on the tractor also started out as 2x4 square
thetruck.jpg

*Just a shameless plug for poor mans engineering*

I received a PM from Rev discussing this and as they stand in the current pics they would not pass tech inspection. If we had pics of boths sides and the welds, it could possibly be open for discussion still.

out of curiosity, if you took a bracket like posted and D-ring tabs like posted and drilled say 2 holed through the tabs and bolted them to the brackets with grade 8 hardware would that pass?

T I will be traveling a decent ways and don't want my home built bumper from FrankZ to not pass because it was not purchased from a dealer and is welded.

The issue with home made welded stuff is the liability for a failure. Its' hard to know if a weld is "good" when you're inspecting it in the parking lot and it's covered in paint.

Something purchased from a company is the companies liability if it fails.

Obviously most of this has to do with insurance and the liability of the club getting sued if something goes bad.

I think that the planners of the event will have to have more discussion about this so reasonable expectations can be made.

Are the d-ring tabs on your bumper face welded to the bumper or do they go through the structure? When I built my home made rear bumper the mounts were the d-ring tabs, the bumper was welded to them and took no forces during recovery, it was just there so I could back into trees.

They slide through the bumper the bumper is still attached by the stock brackets which sandwich the plate to our pinch welded frames. Since these bumpers are made of light weight sheet metal, it was better to leave it unwelded so it had more room for adjustment/fitment.

As far as looking at the welds- in general, you cannot tell a good strong weld from a weak weld without testing it by using a break test. I called dad to have him take a picture next time he's out. He laughed when I told him about questioning the weld strength, but agreed that most DIY weekend welders are the reason for the questioning.

actually the pic would be to see that it was welded from the other side as well as around the parimeter of the tab, not to check the strength through a picture. It it has a good weld around the whole thing, I do not see a problem with it. I agree, no one can tell a welds strength througha picture. We are not trying to bust your balls or take away from what ya have, I personally think it is an awesome idea and I am going to make some for another project I am messing with :D.

I'll let him know to take a picture of every corner, but yes, every corner is welded up. I'm anal retentive and very ocd ( which is why these were made in the first place). If they don't sell, I might have a FrankZ bumper up for sale instead.

Sorry for any spelling errors. I'm on my phone with the leg propped, an ice pack on, and nursing diagnosis flash cards staring me in the eye.....

Last edited:
I think these would be fine if there was something structural between them, piece of angle at a minimum. These may be ok on a straight pull but I would not put a side pull on them.

You might not, but I have on more then the few occasions. When a tractor or that truck pulls you out, it doesn't care what it brings with it ;)

The tabs are towards the inside for that reason. If you can bust these without trashing your truck in the process, I'll buy them back. Stick welded, so please pardon the splatter and such.

imag0263i.jpg

imag0264m.jpg

imag0265z.jpg

Last edited:
They will NOT pass tech.

Discussion of this point is closed, this decision is final.

Further discussion of this point on this thread will be deleted, this is the For Sale forum.

Rev

So to clear it up for me I'm future discussions and recommendations, will these?

11236_05.jpg

I'm just trying to figure out what would and wouldn't. We have a cross beam up front from the factory for the side load issues spoke of earlier. Instead of closing it, can it be moved to a discussion based forum like into WF discussion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back