• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom Double Insulated Reverse-Flow BBQ Smoker

SeeingSpots

NAXJA Forum User
Can't believe that I'm doing this after months and months of building this damn thing, but I'm putting Ol' Blue up for sale. :( The house that we're moving into just doesn't have enough outdoor space to put it. I'm kinda pissed, actually...

Now if you didn't follow the build on this thing, here are a few pictures that show the process and painstaking detail that I put into this smoker. It's a double insulated reverse-flow style that started it's life out as a re-purposed 100lbs propane tank. Reverse-flow smokers are preferred because they keep a more consistent temperature across the cooking surface and it forces the smoke to travel evenly over the food.

The firebox was constructed of 1/4 plate, insulated with 1500* rock wool, and then covered with 1/8" sheet. The smoke plate on the inside was constructed of 5/16" sheet with an angled grease groove down the center of it - this is to funnel grease downward into a catch can so that you don't get a flash grease fire inside of the cooking chamber.

I'm asking $550.00 for it. This thing will most likely outlive all of us. I built it to be the last smoker that I'd ever own. However, it is a BEAST to move. I'd guess it probably weighs close to 400lbs. I'll also include 6 cords worth of dried Apple, Hickory, Mesquite, and Pecan to the buyer.

And the results....

Last edited:
Oh man.... must... resist...

I think the club should buy it for ColoradoFest. You can store it at my place.

That's awesome! Bump for a cool item. Really like the amount of detail that went into it. Sorry you have to sell it. :(

Scott

Six cords of wood? That would be 1800$ in firewood with pit for $550? Pm sent
You better jump on this! I'll be showing the ad to my boss in the morning...

Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Sold! To my neighbor. Once he heard it went up for sale he couldnt get to the ATM fast enough.

And yes, 6 cords of wood was a bitch to move.

Please delete.

Back