• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Curiosity Question

Kejtar said:
Funny you mention that: I came to the same conclusion LONG time ago!

I did Simi Valley to Westchester in an auto for 3 years. Switching to a manual made me more awake and alert on my early morning drive.

i work very close by, and only do big drives on the occasional weekend trip... my foot gets tired driving for more then an hour.... in an auto!
unteresting observations about traffic awareness.... i ride 2 wheels to work so i wouldnt know

Got a T-18 in my CJ, AW4 in my XJ.

I'll reserve final judgement until I get some trail time in the XJ, but I do see the benefits of a manual. Ones that come to mind: No worries about temps or slippage, absolute crawl control when in gear, downhill idling in gear provides engine braking, uphill climbs require only a clutch poke to stop and back down.

I tried my best to find a manual xj when I bought my last one. I am actually glad I got "stuck" with the auto. Oatmeal hit on the head, the manual would be a great choice if the gearing was ideal: granny-low crawling gearing

The only advantage that I see is when you get to real deep crawl ratios.

Say A crawl box, 4-1 TC and say 4.88 or 5.13 gears. Having a clutch is a real benifit to stopping

2.72 * 4 * 4.88 = 53 to 1 on the post tranny gears. Stopping is better when you can completely disengage the driveline with a real clutch.

On most normal streetable trail rigs I do not see any real advantage to manual or auto... It would just be driver preferance.

I have done both and it did take some getting use to when I switched from 3sp CJ to the slushbox XJ but I have not had any issue with the slush box.

There are times when I can walk up minor crawls with the auto that some manual tranny guys have troubles with because they do not have 3 feet or a hand throttle. and it is still more driver/owner preferance than anything the tranny does.

Jeff

Back