• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cummins vs. Powerstroke

LilRhodyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've been looking around for a diesel for a little while and I've obviously heard good and bad things about both trucks. I signed up for the NAXJA equivelent forums for the two and I've learned a lot but can't really make a decision. I'd be looking at a 99-01 5.9L Straight Six Cummins and the 99-02 7.3L V8 Powerstroke. Just wondering if anyone on here has owned either. Thougt I'd ask on a non Ford/Dodge biased site to see the reaction I get on either truck. And please no one say Duramax..sure its a good motor and the Allison tranny is nice but I've never been a fan of GMC and IFS in a 6300lb truck set up for towing doesn't sit well with me.

side question, anyone on here own a 6.4 TT Powerstroke yet? :D

-Andrew

Now thats timing....
I am also in the market for the same type of truck as a tow rig.

I have a friend that is a deisel mechanic and he said that the 99 - 01 years for the ford and dodge are the best years for mileage and power.

I can tell ya that the Dodge uses less oil per oil change than the ford. Dodge=12qts and ford=16 qts but thats all I know.

Good luck in finding the answer.

I signed up for the :NAXJA: equivalent forums

There are no NAXJA equivalent forums out there! :)

Last I heard, Ford was actually suing the manufacturer of their diesel engines. Don't remember why, warranty issues, or pricing issues, something like that. Not sure I would buy a vehicle from someone who is suing one of their own suppliers. Besides, cummins has been around a long time.

there is that saying

"I would rather be Cumming than Stroking."

99-01 Dodge = 2nd Gen 24v. 03.5 and newer actually have significantly more power. Something to be very concerned about here is the 53 block. There's a flaw in some castings that make them prone to cracking on the upper rear passenger side coolant passages. AFAIK, there's no way to tell if a particular block is gonna crack or not. Killer Dowel Pin shouldn't be an issue. These engines *REQUIRE* a fuel pressure gauge. The fuel lift pump is used out of spec and will fail. Catch it fast, and you can replace a $120 lift pump instead of at $1,500 injection pump. I know, I'm on my 3rd lift pump.

If you search NAXJA for Cummins, or Power Choke :laugh: you will think you are on a diesel forum. There are hundreds of opinions about Dodge and Ford within this site.

But since you asked. CUMMINS POWER!!! all the way.

01 2500 4wd Auto long bed, ext. cab, 3.55 gears<--if i towed anymore weight then i do now, I would go 3.73 or 4.10

16-17 mpg at 73 mph with Cherokee on trailer, and 14-15 with slide in camper and cherokee in tow.

Probably the number one reason for the Ford recall is that the 6.4 will start shooting flames out the exhaust. Ford says they have taken care of the problem, but if your read about how they took care of the issue, you may rethink having a 6.4 for this year.

cummings vs 7.3

well we all know the cummings is a good powerplant but for my money i would go the powerstroke route. the 7.3 has proven itself as a real gluton for punishment and lets face it there is no replacement for displacement, besides every cummings i've been around always sounds like they're gonna rattle themselves apart.... i'm sure its normal but it would drive me to drinkin.

well I drive both at work and bought the cummins for my Dad that should tell you where I stand.

The cummins will out tow the ford, is more reliable, easyer to repair (any cummins mechanic can work on it) and for what its worth its a engine known for its longevity. the ford engie is nice and quiet but doesnt have what it takes to win me over.

If you want one for a couple of grand go to the new truck lots and find a 97-98 chevy/GM 6.5L 1 ton trade in. They cant give them away and it's too bad because they got all the bugs out of them by then. The newer stuff just got real popular making these trucks worthless. Maybe not an option if you want newer and have the cash but as far as bang for the buck in a 1 ton this is it. 4 bolts and a hose clamp removes the aluminum intake plenum for a quick rat tail file port job to make them run strong. The reputation of the old versions of this engine is why they are found cheap so look for 97-98.

A buddy of mine has a diesel performance and repair business.Literally 8 out of every 10 trucks in for repairs are Powerjokes.You couldn't pay me to own a Powerjoke - Cummins all the way :thumbup: .

AZRockRunner said:
Now thats timing....
I am also in the market for the same type of truck as a tow rig.

I have a friend that is a deisel mechanic and he said that the 99 - 01 years for the ford and dodge are the best years for mileage and power.

I can tell ya that the Dodge uses less oil per oil change than the ford. Dodge=12qts and ford=16 qts but thats all I know.

Good luck in finding the answer.

Thanks good luck to you as well...here's some info I've gathered over the years of loving diesel trucks... don't buy a 99 Powerstroke. That was the first year of the new bodystyle and thats when they started the recessed firewall. The 99s had so many issues with the oil pans and to replace it you have to take so much $hit apart its rediculous. Also if you go to look at a Cummins under an 01 research the 53 block. Its a notoriously bad block made in Brazil and its known to crack..the other blocks are fine and if you find a Cummins with a Mexican block your friggin' good to go.

Another thing is the 6.0 Powerstrokes (03-07) I don't trust them, haven't been around long enough, we have one at work and it already blew the turbo in under 40K. They make to much boost at idle and the turbo really doesn't want to handle it. 6.0s get piss poor gas mileage for a diesel yet they sound nasty..making 570lb-ft at 2,000 rpms and full boost.

not quite the fairest pull ever but worth the watch... funny part is thats a 4Bt not even a 5.9
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gh9sMxVVVpw

Thanks for the help so far guys, keep it cummin :D

ChiXJeff said:
99-01 Dodge = 2nd Gen 24v. 03.5 and newer actually have significantly more power. Something to be very concerned about here is the 53 block. There's a flaw in some castings that make them prone to cracking on the upper rear passenger side coolant passages. AFAIK, there's no way to tell if a particular block is gonna crack or not. Killer Dowel Pin shouldn't be an issue. These engines *REQUIRE* a fuel pressure gauge. The fuel lift pump is used out of spec and will fail. Catch it fast, and you can replace a $120 lift pump instead of at $1,500 injection pump. I know, I'm on my 3rd lift pump.

Yep I've heard about that block and I've done my research, today I'm going to look at an 01 extended cab short bed with 90K on it. Good looking truck, there weren't too many 01s with the 53 block so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Also I'm thinking of throwing in the three gauge pod right off the bat, so fuel pressure and boost will be taken care of.

Do you really like yours, and would you buy it again if you had too?

-Andrew

LilRhodyXJ said:
Yep I've heard about that block and I've done my research, today I'm going to look at an 01 extended cab short bed with 90K on it. Good looking truck, there weren't too many 01s with the 53 block so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Also I'm thinking of throwing in the three gauge pod right off the bat, so fuel pressure and boost will be taken care of.

Do you really like yours, and would you buy it again if you had too?

-Andrew
Ayup. I'd buy another.

I've got a triple gauge set on my A-pillar (fuel pressure, oil pressure {dash gauge LIES!} and combo boost/EGT.) One of the guys I work with thought it was a factory install. Don't need the trans temp, I don't drive a slush box.

ChiXJeff said:
Ayup. I'd buy another.

I've got a triple gauge set on my A-pillar (fuel pressure, oil pressure {dash gauge LIES!} and combo boost/EGT.) One of the guys I work with thought it was a factory install. Don't need the trans temp, I don't drive a slush box.

What set up did you use, Autometer gauges I assume? I would like a standard but there are non around here and I go to school in the busy city so I'd probably go insane. Do you have any mods done?

-Andrew

I've got a Westach set. They match the factory gauges pretty well, in an Autometer pod. Most of the stuff I got from Geno's Garage. I had to get the oil pressure gauge and sender direct from Westach. The only other mods are Vulcan Performance lift pump relocation and Big Line kit and a Draw Straw.

Re: oil pressure. There's a firmware "upgrade" for the engine computer that makes the gauge LIE. Rather than fix a sensor issue, the gauge will read some fixed value until it gets an out-of-spec reading. In short, not to be relied on.

There's no one to stick up for Powerstrokes? Damn I guess I know what to buy... :D

-AR

edit: has anyone ever tried to get a 4bt Cummins into an XJ..I've seen them in scouts and land cruisers

Last edited:
Well Im glad to see that at least 90% of people here have half a brain.

I own an 05 Dodge CTD and love it to death.

Being in the car hauling business for a long time I saw a lot of big coops who bought Fords because they could get great deals on them if they bought them in bulk. After they realized that maintenance was killing them a lot of them sold the Fords like hot potato's and bought Dodges instead.

I worked on a large farm with many trucks. We had a few of each with exception to the Chevy, we only had one Chevy with the Duramax.

My thoughts-

Ford- Best frame/body. It can take a large load every day and be abused like a red-headed stepchild and come back for more. I don't like the Powerstroke though, too many issues between the motor and trans.

Dodge- The engine make the truck worth driving, because the body sure as hell don't. My brother in law had one with 320K miles when he pulled a load a cattle about 400 miles. The other guy hauling with him had a Ford PS with about 80K miles, the Cummins got better fuel economy and out pulled the Ford on the hills. Neither was modified. That Cummins engine now has closer to 1/2 million miles (without major work, it's an old 12-valve) and is on it's 3rd truck. The motor is worth the truck, period.

Chevy- Great truck for putting a lot of road miles on. Terrible ground clearance and bad load capacity, weak front suspension (imo). Engine is fantastic though. So is the tranny. Nice plush ride in comparison to the Ford.

Myself I have owned two Fords (a half-ton and a 3/4-ton) and three Chevies (again, 2 half-tons and 3/4-ton). I loved the Ford 3/4-ton and although the Chevies rode nicer, I didn't buy a truck to have a car with a big trunk. I have a Chev 1/2-ton Suburban now and have to remind myself it's really just a big station wagon.....it's not really a truck so I should expect it to be one.

Back